* Global Transfer

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
res
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Global Transfer

Post by res »

I am returning to family history after 10 years and have about 1600 people in my TMG v7 project on my old XP laptop. I have updated the project to the trial TMG v9 and have successfully imported my TMG project to Family Historian 6.2 on my Win 10 PC. I have run Plugins “Give witnesses their own facts” and “Migrate census family to individual events” to correct the TMG census “witnesses”. All seems to be OK. However because in TMG I entered the census and GRO index reference numbers in the “citation detail” instead of the “Reference” box , the reference numbers have been imported into the “text from source” rather than the “where within source” box. Is there any way of globally transferring the entries from “text from source” box to the “where within source” box.

My sources are “1851 census”, “GRO index”, etc.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Global Transfer

Post by tatewise »

Yes, please try the attached Move all Text From Source to Where Within Source Plugin.

If you are unfamiliar with how to use a Plugin then please ask.

It would be wise to take a File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup of the GEDCOM file beforehand just in case!

If you don't want to move all Text From Source fields then tell me the unique words that identify the ones that do need moving as I have a variant of the Plugin that filters by words.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
res
Gold

Post by res »

Mike
Thanks for your quick reply. Might it be a good idea to first run the "List all citations for a source" plugin and check for all my sources what is in the "where within source" column and the "text from source" column.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a good idea, especially if you only have a tiny number of Source records, because that Plugin only allows one at a time.

To get similar details for all your Source records run the Where Used Record Links Plugin with all you Source records selected in the Records Window.
res
Gold

Post by res »

Thanks Mike. I have run those plugins on a copy of my FH project and now transferred the "text from source" entries to "where within source". All looks good but I will do some more checking before updating my main project.
res
Gold

Post by res »

Mike, one further question regarding the "where used record links" plugin. Is it possible to save the results to a file outside FH for further inspection, maybe to Excel??
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, see my answer to Exporting query results to MS Access (17886) regarding exporting CSV to Excel.
res
Gold

Post by res »

Thanks again Mike