* Selective Export of Individuals to New Project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paultt
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Selective Export of Individuals to New Project

Post by paultt »

I am trying to extract approx 6000 individuals and all their data from a 'master' gedcom in FH6.2.7 which contains nearly 170,000 individuals, create a new project called say subset, and eventually remove those 6000 from the 'master' when I am satisfied that it is all correct in the subset project gedcom all under FH 6.2.7. However, I have come across a problem!
My steps so far.
1. Created a flag to identify the subset individuals and applied to each and every on of the 6000, by using queries to track the ancestors and descendants. In the final query, step 2
2. Added All row records to a Named List - subsetlist.
3. Wrote a query to list all in that named list - inlist.
4. File->Import/Export->Export->GEDCOM
5. Selected individuals by Select->query-inlist as above. Success - counts are correct
6. Unticked the [[private notes box as I need them
7. Changed Media Records to 'Use Existing File paths...'
8. Ran the export, and opened the new gedcom to view.
9. Ran Split Tree Helper Do NOT delete individuals; Other Records change all to Delete with no links to them; Delete Submitter, Submission, and Named Lists. Clicked Delete.

10. Now the problem! The resultant Gedcom has 21723 0 @Pnnnnn@ place records, about 80% of which have no links to them, and are therefore extraneous to the new subset project! How Do I delete them? Split Tree Helper and the Export Plugin cannot help. I must be able to identify them with a query or plugin checking for 0 links? How would I delete them from there?

Help, ideas would be grateful.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Selective Export of Individuals to New Project

Post by tatewise »

Paul, I've moved this to the FH General Usage Forum as it is not to do with Importing and Exporting for another product.

I presume you have sound reasons for splitting your Project that way, as it is not usually recommended.

At step 4. did you have Exclude Unconnected Records ticked which should remove unlinked Place Records and any other unlinked records making step 9. largely superfluous?

At step 5. you should set Media Records to Use Full File Paths otherwise no Media will migrate to your new Project.

If despite the above you need to delete unlinked Place Records see how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

I have re-run my process, and it appears that my step 4 unconnected records was not ticked, as it has now produced what I expected.
I have a very good reason for doing the split, and for the moment I will keep both the master and the subset running under FH 6.2.7 Projects. The master will still be exported up to TNG, but without any of the subset records as they do not fit the scope of the TNG website. I am forward planning, as I may (commercially)relinquish the control and admin of the TNG website which can run independently of imports from FH.

Thanks for the help. ( I am still not sure of how I could query Places that have No or 0 links to them ;) )
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You don't need a Query, just open the Records Window on the Places tab and sort into Links order as explained in how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records under Records Window in 3rd paragraph. Did you not find that?

But if you really need a Query then the =LinksTo() function is what to use to get that Links number.

If you keep the Named List of 6,000 Individuals in the master Project you should easily be able to export to TNG without those 6,000 whenever you wish, and avoid splitting the Project.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry