* Help with V6.2 failure

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
billygee
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Help with V6.2 failure

Post by billygee »

I have just upgraded to Version 6.2 and entered details of a new sibling. However when I tried to save the entry I get the message "Failed to generate Temp File Folder" Why is this, and can you please help?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Help with V6.2 failure

Post by tatewise »

That is not a failure message that I recognise.

Have you upgraded FH V6.1 to the latest free upgrade V6.2.4?
Did you download from http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade?
Or did you use the FH Help > Check for Updates command and Upgrade Now button?

If the latter, then I suggest you use the former direct link, and download and install from that.
You do not need to uninstall or change what you currently have.

When was the last time you successfully Saved an update to FH?
Has anything significant changed in the meantime?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Mike,
If I remember correctly, when FH saves, it saves to a temporary file first, then deletes and replaces the original file., so it could be a permissions issue?

John
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That was my first thought John, but OP says message is "Failed to generate Temp File Folder".
i.e. failed to generate a folder not a file.
But it may still be some sort permissions problem, which is why I asked how long ago was the last successful Save.
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

I was informed from within the program that an upgrade was available so I upgraded to 6.2. I haven't had any problems of this nature before, although it is quite a while since I made any new entries. I have just re-installed 6.2 again, but with the same results.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Are you running FH as an administrator? If not that may be the cause of your error.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When you installed FH V6.2.4 again did you download from http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade?

Right-click on the downloaded file and choose Run as administrator that may need a password.

What exactly does error message say, or post a screen-shot by using the Attachments tab below the Post a reply box.

In the File > Project Window are your Projects all listed OK?
What happens if you use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project?

In FH, can you save anything anywhere such as by using File > Import/Export > Export options or in a Diagram/Report use Diagram/Report Save As. This should establish whether you have file/folder access permission problems.

Do you have any problems saving files from any other programs?
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

I am unable to copy and paste or attach the failed notice but the complete notice says "Failed to generate temporary in folder
C:\users\Bill\documents\Family Historian projects\gricetree\gricetree.fh_data. access denied."
How do I install as administrator? I just get an .exe file to activate there is nothing to right click on to select install as administor.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To Run as administrator you right-click on that downloaded .exe file as described earlier and choose that option.
I doubt if that will improved matters, but it is worth a try.

Pity you did not give that error message detail before, because it confirms what John and I thought about access permission earlier, but your original description was not clear enough. This problem does happen sometimes in Windows 10. Please confirm you are running Windows 10.

Could you please perform those other tasks I set you to assess the scale of the problem.
i.e. The File > Records Window and File > Import/Export > Export commands , etc.

Please confirm that you are logged into the Bill user account identified in that C:\Users\Bill\Documents\... path

When you have replied with all those details we will try and rectify matters.
However, it will almost certainly help if you can post screen-shots.
See fhugdownloads:contents:utility_windows_snipping_tool|> Utility ~ Windows Snipping Tool and practise using the Windows Snipping Tool to capture and save screen-shots as .jpg or .png image files that can be posted here later.
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

I am using Windows 10.
When installing V6.2.4 via http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade I right clicked the .exe file which appeared at the bottom of the screen to install as administrator as you advised, but the only options available were, Open. Always open files of this type. Show in folder. and Cancel. (The Always open files of this type, and Cancel are grayed out). So I am still unable to install as administrator.

As I am 89 years old, with limited technical knowledge of FH, I find this very frustrating as previously I'd had no problems. May I ask if there is any Remote assistance available which would resolve this problem? I hope I'm not becoming a pain.
Thank you.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

If you choose the option Show in folder you will then see the downloaded .exe file in Windows Explorer. There you can right-click and select Run as administrator.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You must first left-click the green Download "Family Historian 6.2.4 Upgrade" button, and save the upgrade_fh6_to_6.2.4_dl.exe file to your PC and make a note of where.

Use File Explorer to navigate to that downloaded file and then right-click to use Run as administrator.

If that still does not solve your problem, then the best way to get remote assistance is to contact Calico Pie.
See how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting for how to contact them.
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

Success at last. I have now run the upgrade as administrator and everything is OK now. Many thanks to all who have been patient in helping me rectify the problem.
Regards,
billygee.
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

Further to my post of 27th March saying that I had successfully resolved the issue by re-installing FH upgrade V6.2.4 as Administrator. The new entry was saved successfully without problem. However, I have just attempted to make another entry and found that the same error has occurred again. I am totally baffled. I had previously been asked to provide a snapshot of the error, which I was unable to do at the time. I have now familiarized myself with the Snipping Tool and attached a snapshot of the error page. The entry I am trying to make is Arthur Stanley BATES. He is the father-in-law of Jonathan Paul GRICE, and father of Louise Michelle BATES (this entry is covered by the error notice).
Can anyone please help to finally resolve this issue?
Thank you.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (168.28 KiB) Viewed 15122 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Your Windows permissions are wrong. This is more likely to be related to a windows update, and you no longer have permission when not running as the Administrator to write to the folder.

Not sure what version of windows you are running but they are all much the same see if you don't know how to check your permissions,
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.11).aspx

and check your "normal" user has write permissions to all the files and folders in your Project folder
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, billygee is 89 years old with limited technical know-how and is running Windows 10.
This latest error is a repeat of her original problem.
That seemed to have been eventually cured by re-installing FH using Run as administrator.

Is it possible that you, or somebody from Calico Pie, could remote access her PC and investigate?
She requested this approach to solving the problem earlier.
Russell
Diamond

Post by Russell »

I had a similar situation recently when updating my version of FH under Windows 10. For better security I use a non-administrator account for day to day use and when I need to install a new program I accept the W10 security alert with my admin password.

In most cases this works fine, but for FH, Malwarebytes and a few other programs I can only install by first logging in to my administrator account and running the install from there. Once this is done, however, FH works without problem in any user account.

Malwarebytes however ran scans in the limited account, but failed with a known error code even though they did complete. The program has now been updated and I get no error plus a report of what, if anything, it found.

I didn't report the FH issue as I knew how to resolve it, and to me it was a minor quirk.

Perhaps it is a Microsoft issue - some programs, perhaps only in some Windows configurations, work only in full admin mode and there is some setting which does not operate in quite the same way when responding to the W10 permissions alert.

As the original poster is less experienced with PC use, remote access sounds the best way to resolve her issue.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The problem is not caused by Family Historian, I suspect the most likely reason is that the computer has been upgraded to Windows 10, this is known to cause permissions problems on some PCs especially if moved up from Windows 7.

If Billygee knows anyone locally they should be able to sort out the permissions.

Mike: She will need to log a support request with Calico, but as far as I know they don't routinely do remote connections, so will probably just send the instructions to sort out the permissions.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

Dear Jane,
As far as I remember, I had upgraded to Win 10 before I purchased FH and had no problems until updating FH to V6.2.4. Where do you suggest we go from here? (incidentally, I am a HE, not a SHE)
Regards,
billygee
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Billy - I am another elderly computer user and newish to fh. I worry to know that you have got this sorted out?

I havent upgraded my desktop Windows 7 to Windows 10 (not recommended due to Sony touch screen system) but I did upgrade thenew laptop from Windows 8 to 10.
Whenever I have a computer problem I google the question to see whether it is just me or whether other users have the same.
One can see on line that your problem -being denied access - is a known problem. And some people who have solved it find (like you) that it reappears after you shut down the computer session and reboot.

One can also see that some people when trying to sort it out, make matters worse and lock themselves out of their computer altogether. So you might indeed need a knowledgeable friend or local computer expert to come round and sort it out.

I find it confusing the way that modern operating systems allow for several users each of whom has to sign in separately. We have both our computers set for one user only, and that user can select to run as administrator. I notice someone here advises against this, but for us it is simpler. I also set up Windows 10 to look like Windows 7, working from a desktop and with my Document folders listed in the same way.

But there isnt just the user issue - Windows 10 is designed to help users with small portable devices and sign in seems to be closely linked to MS cloud back up - MS Onedrive. To sign in to my Windows 10 lap top I need to sign in with the same password as I have for Onedrive. That is no hardship for me as I use Onedrive to share information. Left to itself Windows 10 will attempt to back up everything you do to Onedrive, and I chose to turn off that option.

Could it possibly be that rather than working in FH on the hard drive of your computer, that since the upgrade you are instead viewing a version that has been saved to the Cloud and which you dont have permission to access? And that is why you cant save new data? Both Windows 10 and fh offer you the file you last looked at, so if it is in the wrong place or synced to the Cloud, you may not immediately be aware of that.

I hope someone can help you, but if no one can and there is no reason why you wanted the upgrade to Windows 10 - one can always revert to Windows 7.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

billygee, perhaps we can run some experiments to check we have correctly identified the problem and determine its extent.
Depending on what you find, we may need more experiments or hopefully propose a solution.

1) Export a Query File
In FH open your usual Project.
Use File > Import/Export > Export > Query, select any Query and click Export.
It should offer to save it in your Project's Public folder.
When you click Save does that succeed or fail?

2) Family Historian Sample Project
In File > Project Window select Family Historian Sample Project and Open Project.
(If it does not exist then use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project and then open it.)
Make a few changes and try Saving as you do in your Project.
Report what succeeds and what fails?

3) Account Type
In Windows click the Start button bottom left, then Settings cog, and choose Accounts.
What does it say under your username? Administrator, Local Account, Microsoft Account, or what?

4) Documents Properties Security
In Windows File Explorer find your Documents folder.
Right-click on Documents and choose Properties at the bottom.
Then select the Security tab which should look similar to the screenshot below.
Probably your username will be shown instead of Angus and your PC name instead of TATE7.
Anyway select each Group or user names row in turn.
The Permissions for .... pane for each one must have a tick to Allow everything.
Is that the case, or are some ticks missing, or your username is missing? If all OK see 5) below...
Documents Properties Security
Documents Properties Security
Document Security.png (17.5 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
5) Family Historian Projects Properties Security
If the above is OK, then repeat for the Family Historian Projects folder that should exist within your Documents folder.
Are those Permissions all ticked?
billygee
Diamond

Post by billygee »

At last the problem has been resolved. The issue was a Windows permissions one. Many thanks to all who have offered help, and I am a happy bunny again. THANK YOU!!
blackbill
Platinum

Post by blackbill »

I've been looking at the forums to try and see if anyone had the problem I am having and this seems to be similar. However the replies are long and complex so please forgive me for starting at the beginning.

When I try to add anything to my project I get the following error message:-
Failed to generate temporary file in folder C:\users\Bill\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ Black Riach Project\Black Riach Project.fh.data. Access is denied.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This appears to be related to your error creating log file folder in Ancestral Sources (17677) posting.

In that thread you said you don't use C:\users\Bill\Documents\... but use C:\Our_Documents\... instead.

So I would expect your Project data folder to have the path:
C:\Our_Documents\Family Historian Projects\Black Riach Project\Black Riach Project.fh_data

Have you changed where you keep your Projects?
Have you changed the File > Project Window > Location setting?
Or made some system change that explains why C:\users\Bill\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... is involved?
blackbill
Platinum

Post by blackbill »

Yes. Following your advice in that post I moved my files to the more conventional C:\users\Bill\Documents\Family Historian Projects.
So I suppose the question is how to get FH to recognise that is where the files are now located.