* Windows 10 updates inhibit FH Backups

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Windows 10 updates inhibit FH Backups

Post by Johnr65 »

It appears that the latest win 10 updates stop FH creating backups to the main pc drive or any other one. A pop up appears saying it can't find the folder! The only way that I found to stop this is to restore my pc to a date before the updates took place.
Do you know of any other way that will let us back up our files?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Windows 10 updates inhibit FH Backups

Post by tatewise »

John, it would be helpful if you could be more specific about which Windows 10 Updates you mean.
Either give their (KB......) number, or if a major feature update its version number (the last was 1909 and next is 2003).
I will certainly NOT be accepting the version 2003 feature update for some months!

To delay Widows Updates use Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and Pause updates for 7 days or to pause longer click Advanced options scroll down to Pause updates for up to 35 days and set the date required.
I always pause them until the end of the month, by which time such glitches should have been fixed.

BTW: It should be possible to uninstall Windows Updates rather than rely on System Restore.
See Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View update history > Uninstall updates at the top.

I rarely use the FH File > Backup/Restore > Backup commands, as unless using an external drive they are pointless.
Instead, I keep my Family Historian Projects folder on OneDrive and use the Windows Backup tools to backup all my sensitive files (not just FH Projects) to a separate drive, and that should work for you.
See Start > Settings > Update & Security > Backup for options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Just for the record (!), the latest Windows Updates (KB4556799) were applied on my laptop yesterday evening and when I checked this morning I found that the FH File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup command is still working okay as previously (viz. FH found the path that it normally uses on my laptop for my Small Backup backups!.)
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BTW: Brent, do you realise Small Backup (Gedcom File Only) backups are even less useful than before ever since FH started creating automatic GEDCOM Snapshot files.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Yes Mike, although I have snapshots turned off because it was causing some issues with loss of data when using AS. I don't use the Small Backup as a backup "weapon" per-se but as a means of looking at historical work - viz. I know I changed this record but what did it used to have recorded. Much quicker than trying to get a formal backup back from the cloud as normally I just want to open the Gedcom in NotePad++.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you Mike, I don't know which updates they were but it seems that every time they do updates it affects FH more than anything else.
I'll take your advice and pause them for 35 days and hope they'll have fixed the bugs by then, also I'll start using One Drive as another backup. I already do a large backup to a portable hard drive but the updates wouldn't even allow that to be backed up!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, which Windows 10 version are you running?
I have version 1909 on a 9-year-old PC originally with Windows 7 and don't recall any Updates interfering with FH.

To check your version use Start >Settings > System scroll down to About and scroll down to Windows specifications:
e.g.
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 1909

It is possible that the problems you are getting are indicative of some underlying issues with your PC.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Hi Mike,
Mine is the same as yours, started as 7 but updated by a qualified engineer to Win 10 Home 1909 64 bit installed Dec 2019.
It's only this update and a previous one that I posted about before on here which I cured by uninstalling it.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Just going back to the original question, my experience was the same as Brent's. I have FH 6.2.7 and Windows 10 Pro, which was updated on 13 May with KB4556799, and FH is still backing up as it always did.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This thread now continues in Google Drive for FH Backups and Projects (17766)...