* Listing Citations that are missing images

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Listing Citations that are missing images

Post by Gary_G »

Has anyone developed a query or plugin that will list those citations for which I haven't associated at least one supporting image? I should note that this particular project mainly uses lumped sources imported from RM9, as I believe that would make a difference in the approach.I tried doing this prior to import and RM9 couldn't do it. Perhaps FH7 can.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
laz_gen
Famous

Re: Listing Citations that are missing images

Post by laz_gen »

Perhaps this query as a starting point and adapt to your needs: Citation Details
Last edited by tatewise on 03 Dec 2023 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved link to Query
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that could be adapted with Rows tab filters to:
Add if =Exists(%FACT.SOUR[1]%) is true
Exclude if =Exists(%FACT.SOUR[1].OBJE[1]%) is true
Exclude if =Exists(%FACT.SOUR[1]>OBJE[1]%) is true

Then only facts with a Citation but without Media for the 1st Citation will be listed.

However, that only applies to Fact Citations and not whole record or any other kind of citation.
Also, only the 1st Citation on each Fact is checked.

To check 2nd and subsequent Citations change the [index] instance for the SOURce tag of the Exclude filters:
Exclude if =Exists(%FACT.SOUR[2].OBJE[1]%) is true
Exclude if =Exists(%FACT.SOUR[2]>OBJE[1]%) is true
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks laz_gen and tatewise.

This should work and I can modify it to work for slight variations. Thank you.

My goal is to ensure that I've not totally missed attaching some form of supporting image to the contained facts in my imported RM9 French-ancestor project. RM9 is good at indicating images attached directly to facts, but it's really difficult to make sure each citation has a supporting document image. This is why I need to do the check and repair after importing the project to FH7.

[On a side-note; there are many other clean-ups that are better done after import from RM9. I'm finding this out through iterative imports and correction. For example; The handling of diacritics in RM9 is VERY erratic and I've had adding notes etc. that contain them actually corrupt a database and crash the program. That's why I now do note additions and corrections after import to FH7.]
Gary Gauthier
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gary_G wrote: 03 Dec 2023 15:41 My goal is to ensure that I've not totally missed attaching some form of supporting image to the contained facts in my imported RM9 French-ancestor project. RM9 is good at indicating images attached directly to facts, but it's really difficult to make sure each citation has a supporting document image.
It would be interesting to compare RM9 and FH7 in this respect.
Are you aware of the FH Facts tab Sources For Media icons, More column Media icons, and Show Media buttons?
  1. The yellow Sources For pane has a Media icon to the right if either the Citation or Source record has Media.
  2. The Facts tab More column has a Media icon against each Fact if:
    1. The Fact has local Media attached.
    2. The Facts tab Show Media window has Include Citation Media ticked and a Citation has Media.
    3. The Facts tab Show Media window has Include Source Record Media ticked and a Source Record has Media.
  3. The Facts tab Show Media button and Sources For pane Show Media button open windows to show Media.
The windows mentioned above are non-modal, so they stay open while you can step through each Fact and quickly see which have associated Media.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks tatewise;

I appreciated the reminder of the various ways that FH7 indicates the presence of media.
In porting my data, however, I needed a quick way of checking all records without having to navigate the tree.
That is why the query route was more appropriate.

That said; your note is a good reminder to watch the icons, in case I missed something.
Gary Gauthier