* Moving Media from one list to another

Questions about using and managing media in FH
Viper1812
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Moving Media from one list to another

Post by Viper1812 »

Hello

Sorry if this has been covered but unable to find it. Can anyone advise me how i move an item of media from one media list to another. For example moving a Birth Certificate from my All Media list into the Birth Certificate list or moving an item of media that has been placed in the wrong list. :?:
Roger
Vyger
Famous

Re: Moving Media from one list to another

Post by Vyger »

Roger,

How are your lists defined, are they just different folders on your hard drive?

Family Historian will filter by Individual, Event, Source, Citation, Family and Place from memory depending on where the media is linked. You can also filter by Keywords if you have entered them.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Roger, Can you clarify what you mean by ‘media list’?

As Vyger has indicated, there is a ‘Media List’ filter in the main Media window but it classifies Media in terms of what they are linked to, (e.g. the type of record they link to, or whether they are source or citation media). It doesn’t cover types of document such as birth certificate.

Or are you referring to the Keyword filter? To change the Keyword either open the Media record Property box and change the Keywords field on the main tab, or view the record in the main Media window and change it there. You can then use the Keyword filter in the Media window to view all media in the chosen category.

Or are you are referring to Named Lists, to which you have added various Media records?

Or do you want to move a media file from one folder to another on your computer?
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Roger, a screenshot of the Media List dialogue you are using would help us understand.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Viper1812
Gold

Post by Viper1812 »

Hi all thanks for advice. On the media window you have media list and keyword filter. In media list you have all media, individual, family etc. so for example I have a map in my individual media that should be in place media. As such however do I get it to the right list. Sorry I'd send a pic but carnt reduce the pixels enough. So hope this makes it a bit clearer.
Roger
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Media List just filters where Media records are linked. To move Media to another list requires the Media record to be unlinked from its original position and linked somewhere else.

Open the Individual Property Box and its Media tab where it links to the Media you want to move.
Click the big red X and choose Unlink Only.

Now in the Records Window, on the Places tab, open the Property Box of the required Place Record.
On its Media tab, use Add Media > Link to Existing Media Record... and select the Media unlinked above.

You could also use the Media Window > Media Link Tool tab, with Selector: Places and use Add Simple Link to...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Viper1812
Gold

Post by Viper1812 »

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give it all a go.
Roger