* KB Link question

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

KB Link question

Post by BillH »

I have a question about using the link icon to create a shortcut to a KB article.

If I use the Link icon to create a link to paste into a forum post on this page, https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download-type/ancestral-sources/, it actually creates this, Ancestral Sources Template ~ Baptism Auto-Text.

This takes me to the page for the Baptism Auto-Text template rather than to the list of Ancestral Sources templates. This same thing happens on other pages which have lists of links items in the same manner as this one.

It looks like the link icon always creates a link to the page for the first item in the list rather than to list page itself. This is confusing and so I just copied and pasted the URL to the page in a recent post.

Could this be changed so that the link is to the page itself instead of to the page of the first item in the list?

Thanks,
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Re: KB Link question

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I have the same problem and would support Bill's request.

There is a similar problem when pasting links to https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help/ Help pages.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Re the Help , the Get Link button works for me -- doe it not work for you, Mike?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No, the get link button does not seem to work for me in the same way the KB chain link does.
e.g.
I Search for the Property Box: Facts tab and display that Help page. Then get link produces:
https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... tstab.html
i.e. It does not display just the Help page title with the URL hidden underneath like this:
Property Box: Facts tab
So the get link button is no better than just copying the URL from the browser address bar.

The KB chain link to articles does display just the Title with the URL hidden underneath like this:
Family Historian Documentation
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 16 Apr 2022 11:08 No, the get link button does not seem to work for me in the same way the KB chain link does.
e.g.
I Search for the Property Box: Facts tab and display that Help page. Then get link produces:
https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... tstab.html
i.e. It does not display just the Help page title with the URL hidden underneath like this:
Property Box: Facts tab
So the get link button is no better than just copying the URL from the browser address bar.
The Get Link button isn't intended to work the same way the KB chain link does -- it's part of a third party product. It is however essential to use it if you want to refer to specific content in the Help file.

The URL in the browser address bar doesn't change as you navigate around the help -- nor does your position in the table of contents as you follow links within the content. You need to use Sync TOC to synchronise the table of contents with your current position, and/or Get Link to get a URL for the content you're currently viewing.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Understood. I suspected that was the case, but thought it worthwhile asking.

That just leaves Bill & my request for improving the KB chain links for list pages.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

tatewise wrote: 16 Apr 2022 12:52 That just leaves Bill & my request for improving the KB chain links for list pages.
Mike I have looked into this and if I fix it for this type of page it will break it for all other pages. This page is generated on the fly rather than a hardcoded page. I haven't given up but it is some difficult coding to try to get the chain link to work for all types of pages. At the moment I will leave it as is but will continue to investigate.