* Pool Numbers

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
smol
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Pool Numbers

Post by smol »

I have my records page set up with a column that gives the Pool numbers.
Yesterday on entering children that belonged to a couple in Pool 1 I discovered that the children were in pool 208 !
I did not realise I had so many pools (this is my main file in which I thought the majority of the people were linked and expected most to be in pool 1)
On further investigation I found that my grandfather was in Pool 1 but his father was in Pool 2 ??
A further example - a female member Pool 1 but both her husbands were in pool 160.
I have been using FH for some years and have had very little trouble. The diagrams and relationships are all correct, so what is happening ? Have I made an error in entering data somewhere ? I have recently upgraded to version 5 (5.0.1) is it some thing to do with that or have I been unobservant all these years ?
The 'Help' menu says - 2 individuals belong to the same pool if they are related to one another directly or indirectly.
I would be glad of some help.
smol

ID:6287
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Pool Numbers

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Do you have birth or marriage events recorded against the individuals concerned? a lack of birth event could plausibly cause what you are getting.
Do the pool numbers stay the same after you save, close and re-open the file?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Pool Numbers

Post by LornaCraig »

I have not been able to replicate the problem and pool numbers still seem to behave as I would expect.  
However a couple of people on the FH Mailing List have today reported issues with pool numbers so perhaps some new problem has crept in?  
amk1609
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Pool Numbers

Post by amk1609 »

I have also noticed an oddity - I have just one person with a 'relationship to root' (albeit a very distant one, 'ex-husband's 1st cousin 4 times removed's wife') who for some reason is in pool 22, completely on her own??? She is the only one with that particular relationship, but the '.........3 times removed's wife' are all in pool 1.
She has a birth event (year, no place) and a full marriage event (date and place). I have no idea whether this has always been like this, or whether it is something introduced with v5 (I am on v5.0.2).
smol
Platinum

Pool Numbers

Post by smol »

I have baptism, marriage & census events where appropriate.
yes the pool numbers remain the same after saving, closing and reopening the file. My version of FH is 5.0.2.
bgriffiths
Platinum

Pool Numbers

Post by bgriffiths »

definitely something odd going on with the pools; I would normally expect about 5 pools, to mop up the few 'persons/families of interest but not related'. Now I see that I have 836 pools. Pool 836 is genuinely not related, but 835 is a family of 5th cousins. Most of the other pools are 5th cousin and beyond.
BrianG
TimTreeby
Famous

Pool Numbers

Post by TimTreeby »

Definitely something to do with 5.0.2.0 as have that version on my laptop and 5.0.1.0 on main PC.
If i do search for Orphans query on main PC i get 12 Pools, which is about right, on the laptop i get 267 Pools so something has changed.
Although i do see that on whats new in v 5.0.2 it does say

Performance improvements have been made when loading information into the query result set window, and when calculating relationship information and ‘pool’ information.

So something has been changed from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Pool Numbers

I agree, there is something odd happening.
I have a whole sequence of close family members. All in pool 1, but their spouses are in pool's ranging from 140 to 150, each spouse having a different, incremental pool number
These are records that have not been amended recently and were all in pool 1 originally.

[Edit] I have done some more checking.
With myself as file route, my 1st cousins children are in pool 2, my first cousin's are in pool 3 and various (but not all) Aunt's and Uncle's are in Pool 4.
I used to hve about 300 pools. I now have a count of 732
LornaCraig
Megastar

Pool Numbers

Post by LornaCraig »

I am using v 5.0.2 but I am still NOT finding any errors. The vast majority of my individuals are in Pool number 1 but I have 48 other small pools.  All appear to be correct and have not changed since 5.0.0.

I have experimented with adding some new individuals then closing and opening FH again but still no errors in Pool numbers. Distant cousins in all generations still appear in the correct pool, and so do their spouses.

Looking at the FH Sample Project in 5.0.2 it shows 2 pools, the smaller with only 7 individuals in it.  This also seems to be correct.

I have about 3,400 individuals.  Is the problem only affecting much larger files?
BillH
Megastar

Pool Numbers

Post by BillH »

I too am seeing pool numbers that look funny. For example, I have some 4th and 5th cousins that are showing up in pools other than one although they are directly related to me.

Bill
amk1609
Gold

Pool Numbers

Post by amk1609 »

Lorna asks 'is the problem only affecting larger files?' I have just over 3000 individuals, and 31 pools, with by far the majority in pool 1. I also have the records window with both pool no, and relationship to root showing, but not side by side, so the one anomaly I found (pool 22 with a wife whose husband is in pool 1) may have been there before 5.0.2.

Andrea
bgriffiths
Platinum

Pool Numbers

Post by bgriffiths »

20500 individuals

My 9x great grandfather is in pool 1, but 10x, 11x and 12x are relegated to pool 4 [confused]

BrianG
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Pool Numbers

I wonder if this is connected.
I have recently (again today) been getting file errors on loading. I actually validated my file yesterday, but this morning got 5 pages full of excluded lines.
After validating the file and identifying the records concerned. (some, but not all of the data I entered earlier this morning on a different computer) I have redone the links and the data, but noticed that I have lots of spouses, with definite marriage dates who are now in different pools (but weren't yesterday).
I think this may be a bug to be 'Bumped' up to Calico Pie to solve
smol
Platinum

Pool Numbers

Post by smol »

My file has 5200 members and now has 208 pools. The later pools have only a few members.
smol
amk1609
Gold

Pool Numbers

Post by amk1609 »

The following post (from Derek Woodman) has just appeared on the mailing list, which seems to indicate that the problem has been introduced with release 5.0.2.

'File of 1684 people. On my laptop with v5.0.1 I have 3 pools in the Search
for Orphan query. On my desktop with same datafile (synched with Dropbox)
but running v5.0.2 I have 15 pools. Brief examination suggests that all the
additional pools relate to people in my paternal grandmother's quarter of
the tree. In most cases, they are small pools consisting of the spouse and
children of my paternal grandmother's siblings. There is a large additional
pool consisting of some of my paternal grandmother's maternal grandmother's
relatives.'
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Pool Numbers

I have 'revered' one of my installations to vers 5.0.0 and as pointed out above, the pool numbers have reverted to Normal, ie all direct relations in pool 1 and a total of 175 pools.

My file is also synced on dropbox, and the same file in vers. 5.0.2 on my laptop is exhibiting the weird behavior with over 735 pools. So definitely a problem
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Pool Numbers

Post by SimonOrde »

We have confirmed that there is a bug in the way that pools are calculated in 5.0.2.  I'm sorry about that.  We are testing a fix to it now, and hope to release it as a patch update shortly.
oldtimer47
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Pool Numbers

Post by oldtimer47 »

Does anyone know if this has been fixed in more recent versions ?

Thanks
Peter
BillH
Megastar

Pool Numbers

Post by BillH »

Peter,

Yes, this was fixed in 5.0.4.

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade

Bill
LornaCraig
Megastar

Pool Numbers

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, it was fixed in V5.0.4.  (And we are now up to 5.0.6!)
See http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade

Edit: Bill's reply arrived as I was typing mine!
oldtimer47
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Pool Numbers

Post by oldtimer47 »

Bill & Lorna - Thanks, I want to write a query using them so needed to know they work. Will download latest patch and give it a go. Peter
goodwin2
Famous

Pool Numbers

Post by goodwin2 »

Have just read these notes on pool numbers.  Have looked in the help section and did not find a way to activate this.  What am I missing here?

There always seems to be another item that has escaped me!
BillH
Megastar

Pool Numbers

Post by BillH »

goodwin2,

You don't have to do anything to 'activate' pools.  I think they are built into Family Historian and are maintained automatically.  I first came across them in the standard query called Search For Orphans.  I added a column to my records list of individuals with the pool number of each individual using the expression =RelationPool().

I'm sure other people have found other ways to use the pool number as well.

Bill
goodwin2
Famous

Pool Numbers

Post by goodwin2 »

Thanks Bill.

I ran the 'Search for Orphans' Query and was then able to go to Configure Columns which gave me the option of 'Load From Query'.

Have a large database and ended up with 108 pools; only 213 not in Pool 1!

Appreciate the input!
goodwin2
Famous

Pool Numbers

Post by goodwin2 »

Confused again re pool numbers. I have just added a number of individuals, mainly Dawsons, who are NOT related to my file root, Elijah Washington Sherwood, directly.

'No direct relationship found between Mary Harriet DAWSON and Elijah Washington SHERWOOD.

Mary Harriet DAWSON is cousin of Adelbert William NORTH and Adelbert William NORTH is husband of great granddaughter of Elijah Washington SHERWOOD'

Yet all of these Dawsons show up in Pool 1. What am I missing here?  

[confused]