* Ver 5 Probs Photo Loading

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
makfai
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Ver 5 Probs Photo Loading

Post by makfai »

Have upgraded Ver 4 to Ver 5 but not all photos are being auto-displayed in the right-hand side of the box in the Diag view.

I find that I can get them to display if I:
1. select the person's box in the diag view
2. select multimedia
3. double-click the photo to enter Edit Media Item
4. and then click OK

ID:6044
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

Appreciate that this is the General section but have posted here as the Ver 5 Usage area has not yet been created
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

In V5 photographs are not all displayed at once, so if your computer is not very quick try leaving the diagram up for a minute to see if they appear over time.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

Thanks for that. I am using the same computer as I did with Ver 4 which loaded just fine.

The FH website says that one of the advantages of FH5 is:

Faster Diagram Loading

Pictures are now loaded ‘in the background’ making diagrams much faster to load.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Did the images appear eventually?

What should happen (and happens for me) is the diagram appears almost at once, but the pictures come in afterwards, rather than having to wait on all the pictures before the diagram displays.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I never thought Ver 4 was slow in Diag mode even with the biggest of my trees but maybe others had probs which I did not have.

I will just have to see how it goes.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I have run a few tests on this and I don't like this at all. It is taking far too long to load pics when I did not have to wait that long in Ver 4. For example, after being in the Diag window for over ten minutes the bottom line still shows 'LOADING..' and some pics have not appeared.

I have not got to the bottom of it yet but I think that part of the prob seems to be with photos which are using the Link to Face feature.

I don't believe it is as simple as a computer speed problem because - as I said at the start - as soon as I click on OK in the Edit Media Item it brings the pic up immediately.

More interestingly, where that picture is used as the base media for more than one person (e.g. a wedding photo with several relatives in it), when I click on OK in one person's Edit Media Item it not only immediately activates that person's pic but all the others whose faces are linked to that main picture.

I think this is a teething prob and not a computer speed prob.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I have looked into this overnight and this morning.

It seems confined to those pics which are LINKED TO FACE. All the other pics load almost immediately but those with a LINK TO FACE do not.

However - as explained above - as soon as I click OK in the Edit Media Item then ALL the LINKS TO FACE associated with the base photo load instantaneously not just the one for which I have clicked OK.

I have tried unlinking then re-linking but this has made no difference.

I suppose I could go back to the base pic and crop a new pic of each person I was now linking to but this rather defeats the value of having that feature.

I also think the Daig page loads slower than in Ver 4 not faster but that may be due to the problem I am having with the LINK TO FACE feature.

Anyone else with same probs?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you try the Sample project do you see the same issue with that?
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

No - they load quickly and with none missing.

I have looked in the SAMPLE DATA folder and there are only 10 photos and they are all in the folder MEDIA.

I use the same system as the SAMPLE but because I have significantly more media items then 10 I subdivide the MEDIA folder into two folders (one for my ancestry and one for my wife's ancestry) and those folders are also subdivided into various folders (e.g. for Photos; Death; Marriage; Military; Census etc)

So the SAMPLE folder for its MEDIA is a very straightforward hierarchical folder whereas mine is more sub-divided.
nsw

Post by nsw »

Where are those images - are they all on the internal hard drive(s) or are some (or all) on an external drive?
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

All on the computer's hard drive. The folder/file locations are all exactly the same as they were when I was using Ver 4 (and indeed Ver 3) and there was never any problem with the previous versions.

The photos using the LINK TO FACE feature and which are not loading are even in the same folders which contain single pics not linked to face (i.e. because there is only one person in that shot) which are loading immediately.

It has to be something to do with the link to face feature but I don't know what. Mystery to me!
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

In Tools preferences, can you see if changing the performance option makes any difference, also check to see if you have thumbnailing at start up turned on or off.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

The performance option was set (as it was for Ver 3 & 4) at Auto-detect. I have tried it on all the three alternatives (High; Medium; Low) and FH freezes ('Not responding' is displayed and I have to close and reopen FH).

I have not changed any of the settings from Ver 4 and I was perfectly happy with the speed of the response in Ver 4 when I changed from the Records View to the Diag View. With Ver 5 it now takes longer for the Record View to change to the Diag View; longer before I can interact (e.g. scroll) in the Diag Window; and the Link to Face photos do not appear at all unless I use the 'work-around' I described earlier. That work-around triggers - immediately - the loading of all the faces linked to that photo.

The status bar shows: 100% Loading.. All rels .
The first and last of these are accurate but other than for the status bar showing 'Loading...' the computer displays no sign of ANY activity. No matter how long (e.g up to 10 minutes) I wait 'Loading...' remains displayed on the status bar but the photos never load and the computer shows no sign of any activity.

As regards the Thumbnails I again have not changed this setting from what it was when all was OK with Ver 4. If I open View>Multimedia Window> the thumbnails are present and the icon for the thumbnails is displayed in the toolbar.

As I say, I cannot understand why the Link To Face pics are no longer displayed when the photos they are linked to are in the same folders as pics which are loaded with no problem by Ver 5 and the Link To Face pics will appear as soon as I click OK in the Edit Media Item [confused]

Any/all suggestions are welcome.
TonyF
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by TonyF »

I do not know if this has any bearing on makai problem?

Using V5 on my quite fast (but getting old) desktop with Windows XP I constructed an All Relatives diagram with some 1300 people and photos where available, some being cutouts. It took about 20 seconds to display.

I then produced the same diagram on my net book (Windows7) with V4 using the same files. This also took a similar 20 seconds. On this machine I also have V5 Beta and this displayed almost instantly. This demonstrated to me the tremendous improvement, but suggests that the version of windows could be an issue.
arshawbrown
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Post by arshawbrown »

Just loading FH v5 now takes 3 minutes on my Windows7 core i3 laptop - it used to be a few seconds.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

When are you timing from is it the program or the program plus data?

Have you tried excluding the Family Historian folder in Program Files from the runtime anti-virus?
arshawbrown
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Post by arshawbrown »

From double clicking FH icon to program appearing on screen. Will try anti v when i get home - thanks Jane
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

Tony F
I am using XP
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I asked Calico-pie for their advice but neither solution they proposed worked for me. However, I have included the reply below for anyone who may have the same problem later (apparently I am the only one at this time).

This problem has not been reported by any other users. Please could your try booting your computer into safe mode to see if that improves the situation, if it does it's most likely to be another program which is some how blocking the image loading temporarily.

It may also be worth excluding your Project folder from the Realtime scanning in case it's an Anti-virus issue.

I have asked Calico-pie:

1) Is there any reason why a programme would be interfering with Ver 5 which did not interfere with Ver 4?
2) Is there any reason why my anti-virus programme (McAfee Total protection) would have a problem scanning the Project folder in Ver 5 but not in Ver 4?

My hope that this is going to get fixed is waning so I am open to any suggestions. Would not like to have to abandon FH after all these years and having recommended it to so many. It has been my choice and still would be if this could be fixed.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I think I have made some progress.

I had previously tried deleting the Frame and relinking but had done that only with some of the more recent pics in respect of which I had used that feature. It did not make any difference - they still would not load.

However, I just tried going back to the earliest of the pics in respect of which I had used this feature and deleted the frame and relinked it. That seems to have allowed that pic and ALL the subsequent pics to load.

Ver 5 must have had an issue (which Ver 4 did not) with one of the earliest Link to Face pics which I had set up ages ago. Ver 5 not having been able to load that one pic must have 'frozen' on it keeping on trying to load that pic without loading any subsequent ones. Deleting the fram and relinking seems to have worked.

Perhaps a simple piece of code could be written to tell Ver 5 that if cannot load one pic to skip it and move on to the others? That would then just leave the 'offending' pic(s) unloaded.
nsw

Post by nsw »

That's good news. It might be useful to help Calico to track down what happened if you could have a look at a copy of the GEDCOM file that had the problem (e.g. in notepad) and find the relevant media file entry and compare it to the one in the file that now works.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I'll see if I can track it down. I may have some back-ups in Ver 4 format which I can try to compare.

I suppose there is always the remote possibility that a link which was working in Ver 4 may have become corrupted during the upgrade to Ver 5.

I can't see it being the type of problem which would arise for new users (buying Ver 5 as their first intro to FH) but as we all know a file can be corrupted during upgrades etc.

I am just relieved that I have got it working - would not want to leave FH. I hope that my experience may be added to Calico's tool-bag. It was just a question of working out which were the earliest pics with links to faces.

So saying I don't think it would do any harm to add a bit of code to tell Ver 5 to move on to the next pic if it gets stuck loading the earlier one.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

I have sent my back-up to Calico so they can have a look at what has gone wrong.

However, I still find that FOR ME the change to 'load in the background' for the photos in the Diag View makes the window slower to load that Ver 4 (which clearly should NOT be the case) and the window - although visible - is unusuable until all/nearly all the pics load.

Is there a setting somewhere which may be wrong (I am running WinXP).

I am going to reinstall Ver 5 and see if that makes any difference should I uninstall Ver 5 before I do this or just run the downloaded version of the update from Ver 4 to Ver 5 over the top?