* Mike's Map Life Mapping plugin - use?

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
Cambiz
Famous
Family Historian: None

Mike's Map Life Mapping plugin - use?

Post by Cambiz »

Stand alone topic to discuss (or not) how to use the maps created.

The plugin is excellent and obviously the result of a great deal of time and effort.

The results are very interesting and useful for data validation and probity.

I thought the maps would be excellent additions to reports or web pages (much as TNG does) but unless I have missed something, the output goes into a folder, unassociated with the individual.

I guess when V5 is released, people will ask if there a method to automatically associate the map with the individual.

Off the top of my head I though maybe code could be included to save the map as a new multimedia record and then associate it with the individual.
Or create it as a source.

Objections/problems
The code would, have to tag the record so the map does not appear on charts.
The code would have to recognise if a map has been generated previously and give the option to replace it.
Pretty good way to mess up the media numbering system unless unused record numbers are used and if there was not a pre-delete.  
Sure there are more.

ID:5956
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by PeterR »

Are the facilities on the Create Web Page Maps tab not creating web pages that integrate with the web pages created by FH?  They worked well for me.
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

Oops. Have been running 'Map Life Events', not 'Map Life facts'
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

I'm going to appear the idiot again, I know, but how do I associate the map with the webpage for the individual?

I have created a webpage for myself, saved it to
file:///C:/Users/Chris/Documents/Family%20Historian%20Projects/FH5/Public/FHWebtest/_nameindex.html
and then ran the plugin saving the output to that same directory
file:///C:/Users/Chris/Documents/Family%20Historian%20Projects/FH5/Public/FHWebtest/map1.html
Looking at the map page I see the FH5 icons and links. The thing is it looks to work one way, that is one has to start from the map to get to the page. Is there a way that I have missed to get to the map from the page as most views will be at the page first?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you have used standard settings in the Create a Website wizard, then in the C:/Users/Chris/Documents/Family Historian Projects/FH5/Public/FHWebtest/ folder there should be the following files :
_nameindex.html
_statistics.html
defaultlogo.jpg
fhstyle.css
ind1.html
index.html
mapfacts.css
mapfacts.js
map1.html

The usual way to invoke the website is to open (double-click) the index.html file, which is the home/root page for the website.
This should open your Home/Welcome/Table of Contents page in your default browser.
If you included yourself in a Link to page entry, then follow that link to your details page ind1.html.
If not, then click the Index link in the menubar, and click your name there.
On your personal details web page ind1.html there should be a link under SEE ALSO near the top to Map of Locations for Chris M....
From your posting you have found in map1.html the link Detailed Facts for Chris M... that returns to your ind1.html details page.
(Note that the the number following ind and map are the same and is the Individual Record Id).

Let me know if any of this above does not match your .../FHWebtest/ folder.
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

I was testing using only one record - mine.

'See also' only appears on the FH5 generated web page for me when I select more than one record when creating a web site.

I can now see the mapping.

Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Chris, you have spotted an oversight in the Plugin, which does not insert the Map of Locations for ... link if there is no SEE ALSO entry on the Individual's webpage.
This will be fixed in the next version of the Plugin.
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

Dear Mike,

I have hit the 2500 limit and now understand the 24 hour rule through reference to another FHUG post.

Can I suggest that you mention this limit in the help for when users do an initial run (and those tempted to remap). Apologies if it is in there already.

Also there is a small typo
set preferences > database in > (pop-up) Warning!Beware! 'Changing....peserve..'

Chris
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the typo - corrected in next version.

The Help button Geocode Plots for Geocode Location Plots tab, under Manage Location Plots says
If plots are submitted too fast, the Geocoder may respond with Quota Exceeded, but this will become permanent if the daily quota of 2,500 plots per IP address is exceeded. See the Google Geocoding Usage Limits for details.
Does this need more prominence, or further explanation?
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Is it possible to put a warning 'Splash' Screen as the plugin starts, to warn about the limit.? or possibly an intermediate starting stage ( a bit like the menu for the AS plugin) with a warning that can be switched off by the user.

I know that I just dive straight in and only look at the help if it doesn't work as expected.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Map Life Facts Version 2.5 is now available from the Plugin Store.

It fixes the missing web page links when no SEE ALSO entry is on the FH webpage.
It corrects the 'Changing....peserve..' message typo.
It pops-up a warning message when Geocode Plot All Location Entries is chosen and more than 2,500 unplotted entries are scheduled.
nsw

Post by nsw »

Just a suggestion: could it remember how many plots have been done in the 24 hour period and provide a 'plots left today' countdown?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'll have to think about that one.
It is not a midnight to midnight 24-hours, but a rolling 24-hours.
So would have to time-stamp each batch of plots, minute by minute, and discard those more than 24-hours old.
It would at best be an estimate of Google's time frame and plots, which are subject to change by Google.
nsw

Post by nsw »

I would imagine you only need to record one date - the first date in series of plots, and a counter. If the date/time > (firstdate+24 hours) then reset counter to 0 and set firstdate=current date/time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If I implement it at all, I think it needs to be more complex than that.
Lets say a user has the following plot scenario:

Date & Time & Plots ~ 1st Date Time & Counter
01/01/12 10:00   800  ~  01/01/12 10:00     800
01/01/12 15:00   800  ~  01/01/12 10:00  1,600
01/01/12 19:00   800  ~  01/01/12 19:00  2,400
02/01/12 11:00   800  ~  02/01/12 11:00     800   (Current > 1st + 24-hours, so reset)
02/01/12 13:00   800  ~  02/01/12 11:00  1,600

But in the 24-hours from 01/01/12 14:00 to 02/01/12 14:00 they have attempted 800 x 4 = 3,200 plots and exceeded the 2,500 quota, although Counter never exceeds 2,400.

Other complications are that the Plugin can be run on different Projects, in different User Accounts, and on different PC, but all using the same Internet IP Address.
The Google quota is per IP Address, so the Counter would need to accumulate all these different plot requests.

Conversely, one Project could be synchronised on multiple PC, each on a different IP Address, then each PC could use its 2,500 plot quota in the same 24-hour period.

The Warning is simply meant to be a 'heads up' in case the user has not noticed the daily quota advice in the Help.
Perhaps an alternative is to generate the Warning popup whenever any Geocode Plot... or Map... button is used, but with a sticky option to Do not show this Warning again.
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

I've hit a problem.

I generated a website which has generated ~30,000 files (fam, img and ind mostly)

If I then try to map someone I get a pop-up 'Not Enough Memory'

The memory is 4gb of which ~ 2.5gb is free.

Is this going to be a case of splitting the FH generated files logically (using PSPad as you've told me before) and then mapping in batches or can something be done within the plugin?

Chris
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably you do NOT get the pop-up 'Not Enough Memory' if you perform the same mapping operation to a non-website output folder.

Can you give an estimate of the size of your largest ind*.html and fam*.html files, which may have many Facts and Sources listed.

Also, which Locations From option are you using?
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

'Presumably you do NOT get the pop-up 'Not Enough Memory' if you perform the same mapping operation to a non-website output folder.'

Correct. The original folder was
C:UsersChrisDocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsFH5PublicFHwebtest
I amended that up to C:UsersChrisDocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsFH5Public and retried without problem.

'Can you give an estimate of the size of your largest ind*.html and fam*.html files, which may have many Facts and Sources listed.'

ind*.html = 16kb (9692 items)
fam*.html = 99kb (6507 items)

The largest html is _nameindex at 1450kb but that is probably irrelevant here.

'Also, which Locations From option are you using? '

Place Field
Plugin Data Folder

It may also be irrelevant but in FH web creation I have used the advance tag to put in some Html:

In '...at the end of the section'

var _gaq = _gaq [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-1163770-3']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();

and

'.. in the section, below the menu bar'

Welcome!

The infomation on this site is not for commercial purposes.

If you use any of this data, please, please include the source - many people, including me, have spent a lot of time putting this information together and it is only polite to acknowledge this.

I apologise if I have not done so through error or inexperience.

Click 'Home' (under the Tree in the corner for more stuff[right][/right]
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I did test the Plugin with some Advanced section inserts and all appeared OK.
I have tried your section inserts and after a couple of syntax edits all worked OK.
The two syntax problems (which may be typos in your posting) are:
1) In the section scrypt should be script in three places.
2) In the section a closing is missing.
This second one prevented the map from being displayed.

However, the Plugin ran OK, so I still cannot explain the 'Not Enough Memory' problem.

Can you confirm that problem occurs when you simply use Map This Individual and that it happens for many different Individuals.
Are any other details reported in the 'Not Enough Memory' popup.
Can you give any other details that might help identify at what stage the problem arises.
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

This is the pop-up

I will delete most of the files in FH5webtest and try again with just the big ones.

The first html was copied straight from google analytics

The second is my rubbish coding
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have just re-run some tests on my trial large database.
It has 2,000 Individuals and created 2,250 files with your sections included.
688 fam*.html  784 ind*.html  762 img*.jpg
Several fam*.html files were 100 KB.

The Plugin ran OK for everything I tried.
I do not believe it is the number of files, because the Plugin only works on a few at any one time.
Rather than delete files, simply move a subset of files to a new folder, and use that folder with the Plugin.

Can you confirm that problem occurs when you simply use Map This Individual and that it happens for many different Individuals.
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

I deleted the output folder.
I then created a website with ~5000 people - 8000 objects
Plug in a bit sluggish, but worked.
Deleted it again and created a website with ~10000 individuals. About 30,000 objects
Plug in ran for a few seconds and then Not Enough Memory.
Using Task Manager Resourse meter can see memory percentage:
Inuse Mod Standby Free  (rough)
1200  150 700     2000  - nothing running (so I thought!)
1400  130 730     1800  - with FH5 and plugin
1622   85 1528    850   - after running web create
Running the plugin, I could see the Inuse rapidly increasing until it hit no more memory. It did not seem to decrease the standby - I have no idea what's in the standby or how to get rid of it. I have Scotty Patrol which might aid.
I thought to clear as much standby as possible (reboot, memory verification, command of %windir%system32rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks) but seemed to have kicked off the DEFRAG (can you imagine my horror as the free memory just disappeared) - perhaps there's some trigger that senses a need to defrag.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am struggling to know where to look in the Plugin.
Please, please, describe what features you are using leading up to the problem.

Which tab is in force Geocode Location Plots or Create Web Page Maps?
What Statistics are displayed?
What Status messages are displayed?
Which buttons do you press?
What does the Web Mapping in Progress bar indicate?
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

You asked: Which tab is in force Geocode Location Plots or Create Web Page Maps?

Me: Create Web Page Maps

You asked: What Statistics are displayed?

Me: None. Click any of the 3 buttons and after a few second the 'No More memory' popup appears

You asked: What Status messages are displayed?

Me: None

You asked: Which buttons do you press?

Any. For this test I choice 'Map This Individual'

You asked: What does the Web Mapping in Progress bar indicate?

This time it did not pop-up. Previously it has got to various percentages before freezing.

I think this might two things
1. The plug in must need to know what files it will be changing and in doing that grabs memory until it has worked it out but the memory might not be available because...
2. In Windows 7 there seems to be an issue with something called standby memory not being released. This obviously is a variable and dependant on the pc usage.
After reading a windows 7 forum, I have installed a free programme called RamMap (http://www.sysinternals.com - but I'm not endorsing it) which tells me that Windows7 has cached things like install_fh5beta7.exe (28,000kb), Media Player 40,000kb (I don't use that at all) amongst others which are obviously useful such as my FH diagram icons etc.
Obviously the purpose of the standby is to be able to load things quickly but I've looked in forums and people are saying that it is not releasing memory to the free memory when needed. All in all I'm saying that I'm working with about 800mb of memory.
If you want and if I'm still not clear with what's happening, email me and I'll give you my phone no
Cambiz
Famous

Post by Cambiz »

Ignore the second part. I ran it again (map this individual) and it still said not enough memory.
However watching the Resource showed me that the when I ran the plugin the memory went from 1804MB in use memory to 2161MB at the max before the Not Enough Memory pop-up.
There was plenty of free memory as I had cleared the standby memory.

email is camichael.fh1@gmail.com as I forgot to add it last time

--
Chris