* FH stopped working

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
Phil10413
Family Historian: None

FH stopped working

Post by Phil10413 »

Had a call from BT. Apparently the problem is widely reported and they are escalating it to a higher level. They have promised to get back to me.
victor
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

FH stopped working

Post by victor »

I have just had a reply from BT at 1735 )over the 24 hours they were supposed to have replied to)

This is part of what they say

As I understand from your e-mail that you are facing problem with Family Historian since after Mcafee update. I apologise for the inconvenience caused due to this issue.

However, I would like to inform you that we have received this type of e-mails and already we have escalated this issue and will get back to you soon with the update.

I am sure they will tell me to uninstall the McAfee programme in time but I will wait till they do so. It would be better if they can simply send an upgrade

Victor
Bruce
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

FH stopped working

Post by Bruce »

Same problem with Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit, starting today.
I have had the 'uninstall and re-install McAfee' advice from BT for several other similar problems with other programs in the past and it usually works.
It's a tedious process so I will watch this forum until you say it is the right thing to do.
Thanks everybody.
victor
Superstar

FH stopped working

Post by victor »

In Answer to Simon's questions

a. BT NetPlus/ McAfee
b. 19 September
c. FH just drops put after 1 minute no warning or error message
d. FH 4.1.3
e. There is nothing to show there is an exclusion.
I have just checked McAfee and it shows the last upgrade was at 7 this morning. (FH still crashes out)
It also shows the next upgrade will be at 8.39 tonight.
f. Reported to both McAfee (using the email address Simon provided) and BT. No reply from McAfee and BT have replied (see my posting earlier on this thread
g. Windows 7 32 bit

Victor
richardnorth

FH stopped working

Post by richardnorth »

richardnorth said:
I've just done a manual update of McAfee (which subsequently required a reboot of the PC) and Family Historian is still running after 5 minutes (as opposed to the one minute everyone with McAfee has been experiencing over the last 48 hours or so.)

Richard North
UPDATE:

Family Historian has been up and running all afternoon.I specifically closed it down several times and experienced no issues. As a Virgin Media customer I use a standard copy of McAffee, it could well be that the BT version has yet to be upgraded.
AnneEast
Superstar

FH stopped working

Post by AnneEast »

Well, after wasting over an hour unistalling/re-installing BT NetProtect ...... predictably it has not worked.

To be fair to BT they did ring me back again (thrid time)while I was doing it and say they were escalating the inquiry and the unintall of McAfee didn't work!!!! You can be pretty sure they've got the message anyway! BT should have more influence over McAfee than us poor mortals. They did ditch Norton a few years ago!!!

Anne
Hells65

FH stopped working

Post by Hells65 »

Hi

I'm a relatively new user of Family Historian and I've got the same problem. I also use McAfee antivirus software! The last time I used FH was on Sunday 17th and without any problem.

In answer to support questions:

a) McAfee Total Protection (came with my Acer laptop)
b) 20/09/2011. Last used FH on 17/09/2011 with no problem.
c) FH opens, runs for about 30 seconds then closes. No error message, always for the about the same lenth of time.
d) Windows 7 for 64 bit
e) FH 4.1.3
f) no
g) e-mailed McAfee using suggested address and 'Nauto' in Subject Line.

Helen
johnscott
Silver

FH stopped working

Post by johnscott »

Just had a phone call from the BT Broadband help desk. They have passed complaint on to McAfee and as there have been a large number of other compaints re FH stopping working they said they would expect an early resolution. We will see!!!
LINDAB

FH stopped working

Post by LINDAB »

Just got onto McAfee yet again got a level 2 idiot this time. They have escalated it to their development team. They said someone else had reported the problem. I replied that I think loads of people have reported the problem.[cry][cry][cry]
SusanA

FH stopped working

Post by SusanA »

I have also been having the same problem since yesterday. However 2nite I have just updated my mcafee, which required a reboot.

So far FH has been open for 20 mins, fingers crossed it continues...[smile][smile][smile]. I don't have BT, so not sure if all fixed for everyone yet...

Susan
Judy27

FH stopped working

Post by Judy27 »

a) Exactly what McAfee products you have.  Please also give the full version number of each McAfee product- BT NetProtect Plus version 10.5.240. Scheduled scanning on, real time scanning on and firewall on.
(b) The date that the problem started -Monday 19th September immediately after McAfee update. Windows and Adobe updates also completed on same day.
(c) Confirmation of the symptoms - e.g. does FH *always* crash every time you run it? Yes
Do you ever see any error messages (if so, saying what?)No  Are the symptoms always the same?  Yes
How long after you start it does it crash?  Approximately after 1 minute Does this vary? No
(c) Which version of Windows (inc service packs if known) do you have? Vista 6.0.6002 service pack 2, build 6002
(d) Which version of Family Historian do you have - 4.1.3
Manx

FH stopped working

Post by Manx »

The latest update from McAfee via BT ProtectPlus seems to have cured the problem!
Chris
pjh625
Silver

FH stopped working

Post by pjh625 »

I have allowed McAfee to update Antivirus Plus this morning on my iMac/VMware Fusion/Windows XP machine and since starting FH 90 mins ago have had no probs.
Don't expect McAfee to apologise - they'll just ask if you have the latest update!!
Cheers
Peter
Queensland
[wink]
pjh625
Silver

FH stopped working

Post by pjh625 »

In Answer to Simon's questions
(a)
McAfee AntiVirus Plus, contains
McAfee SecurityCenter, Version 11.0, Build 11.0.578; Last update 16/08/2011
McAfee VirusScan, Version 15.0, Build 15.0.291; Last update 19/09/2011
McAfee SiteAdvisor, Version 3.3, Build 3.3.1.133; Last update 13/05/2011
McAfee QuickClean and Shredder, Version 11.0, Build 11.0.393; Last update 9/11/2011
McAfee Personal Firewall, Version 12.0, Build 12.0.338; Last update 11/09/2011
(b) 18-19/9/2011
(c) FH always aborts though time varies
(c) Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 (my iMac/VMware Fusion/Windows XP)
(d) 4.1.3
(e) no
(f) emailed Virus_Research@avertlabs.com (as suggested) 24 hours ago - no response also VMWare - replied within 12 hours - but 'If this issue is from an Update from McAfee, there is not anything we can do in that regards.'

Cheers
Peter
Queensland
[smile]
pjh625
Silver

FH stopped working

Post by pjh625 »

PS - Family Historian still running after 4 hours, after McAfee update.
victor
Superstar

FH stopped working

Post by victor »

My McAfee was upgraded at 2 am and FH is still running after 20 mins

Looks as if BT has sorted this out

What a relief!

Victor
amk1609
Gold

FH stopped working

Post by amk1609 »

After reading the latest posts, did a manual update of McAfee this morning, and FH still there after 45 mins. Fingers crossed they have fixed it - thanks I suspect to the power of BT, not us humble mortals!
Bruce
Gold

FH stopped working

Post by Bruce »

Same as Andrea. Manual update of BT NetProtect Plus, reboot and now up and running.
SimonOrde
Program Designer

FH stopped working

Post by SimonOrde »

We have now heard back from McAfee.  I'm very pleased to say that they say they've fixed the problem!   They say: 'This issue has been corrected. Please instruct your users to update their McAfee protection to the latest DAT version 6475 released today [i.e. yesterday - tuesday]'.  I suspect that the rollout of this new update (and probably all updates) will be staggered, to avoid everyone trying to download the same files simultaneously.  So it may take a while before everyone gets the new update. If you try to update manually and are told that you already have the latest version, this may just mean that the new version isn't available for you yet.

Also, you probably don't need to manually update anyway if you don't want to.  If you wait for a while, I would expect that your McAfee antivirus product will update itself automatically eventually anyway.

Thank you very much to everyone who has helped crack this problem by pooling information here so that it quickly became apparent that it was a McAfee problem, by emailing us with program/version details etc, and by chasing McAfee and BT to get them to fix the problem!
AnneEast
Superstar

FH stopped working

Post by AnneEast »

Hooray! Had a BT NetProtect update requiring a restart this morning.

Thanks also to you, Simon, it hasn't been a comfortable few days for you!

Anne
pjh625
Silver

FH stopped working

Post by pjh625 »

12 hours since McAfee update and still working
Peter[smile]
rbryce
Gold
Family Historian: V5

FH stopped working

Post by rbryce »

I have Mcafee through Plusnet (owned I think by BT).  When we reported the problem we were told that that was the first report.  However it does look that the general fix has worked for me too.  Thanks everyone.
Robert
CJGK
Silver

FH stopped working

Post by CJGK »

Long update of BT NetProtectPlus (a.k.a. McAfee)just completed, and FH 3.1.2 has been stable for 10 minutes! Looks as though it's been cracked. I'll post this to the V3 list as well.

Chris
Phil10413

FH stopped working

Post by Phil10413 »

FH 4.1.3 has been working OK for about 30 mins. I have taken no action so Net Protect Plus must have auto updated successfully. Pressure on BT / MacAfee seems to have worked!
LindaO
Gold

FH stopped working

Post by LindaO »

McAfee updated and FH working again!

Regards,

Linda