* MAC users of FH CDs

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
martinmitchell
Silver
Family Historian: None

MAC users of FH CDs

Post by martinmitchell » 19 Jun 2011 19:55

Having sent CDs/DVDs to relations all over, I'm now finding that two at least are using Macs, and are unable to open the CD satisfactorily.

I have FH 3.1.2, and Windows XP.  I haven't found help in the General Forum.

Is there an easy answer, please?  My contacts are like me, not advanced users, if it's too complicated they may lose interest.  Ideally, can I produce a universally readable CD/DVD myself?  I normally use Nero.

Thanks - MM

ID:5148

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

MAC users of FH CDs

Post by Jane » 19 Jun 2011 20:55

Mac users can open the CD by using the following:

You could try bypassing the runstart routine open the data folder on the CD and double click on the _nameindex.html near the top of the list or scroll down until you find the index.html file and double click that.

You to make it easier for them by adding an clickme.html file to the top directory, with a link to the index page in the data folder.

I looked at making autoruns for Macs, but not found an easy solution for free.

martinmitchell
Silver
Family Historian: None

MAC users of FH CDs

Post by martinmitchell » 20 Jun 2011 07:50

Thanks very much Jane for prompt reply.  Totally out of my depth, I've copied you to my Mac son-in-law.  Let you know if he has anything useful to add or suggest.
Martin.

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

MAC users of FH CDs

Post by Jane » 21 Jun 2011 09:21

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1367679/start.html

Martin, if you right click on the file above and select Save Link as you should be able to save the file in FH CD folder before you make your CD and your Mac users should be able to click on it.