* picture size

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
bm
Family Historian: None

picture size

Post by bm »

Hi,
How can I make all pictures on the diagram the same size?

Do I need to crop pictures to say w:500 x h:500 size before inserting them into FH?

If I link picture to face can I size the face picture to say w:500 x h:500?

When I link picture to face FH creates _AREA in ged file. Is value of _AREA field a size of face picture? I tried making all _AREA values the same in ged file but it did not make all pictures on the diagram the same size. Why?

thanks

ID:4925
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

picture size

Post by Jane »

I am not sure what you are trying to do, my guess would be that some of your images are scanned too small, as by default all images are shown the same size if they are large enough, but images scanned too small are not enlarged unless you have the box ticked. Of course they may be different widths if your images are a different shape.

Are you showing them inline or to the left or right?

What settings do you have on the Picture Tab?
bm25
Silver

picture size

Post by bm25 »

My images are not scanned small. These are images taken by digital camera 2300 x 1700 resolution. Please, see my pictures tab. Images I see on the diagram are small but they are little different size. Some wider or taller then others.

thanks
Jane
Site Admin

picture size

Post by Jane »

Try using the option to put pictures to the left or right. That should get the pictures the same height at least.
brian1950
Diamond

picture size

Post by brian1950 »

bm,

Forgive me if I haven't understood what you are trying to do...

When I select a face to link from, say, a group photo, the area I choose to be most suitable to capture the face I require from the group will be all different, as the faces are different proportions.

Ergo, the linked face images shown in the diagrams then are different sizes and proportions.

Also, as an aside, when I use photos from digital cameras, I always lower the photo's resolution and save it as another file for import into FH. This way I keep file sizes smaller, use less disk space and speed up FH without affecting print quality.

To do this I use Photoshop - Menu: Image Size/Save For Web.

Hope this helps and hasn't further confused matters!

Brian 1950
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

bm,
Are you saying that your diagram pictures are all the same height (0.75' as specified in your Diagram Options) but are different widths?
If so, it is probably because the height to width ratio is not the same for all the pictures.
If for example some pictures are Landscape shape and others are Portrait shape, then when adjusted to the same height the Landscape shaped pictures will be much wider than the Portrait shaped pictures.
bm25
Silver

picture size

Post by bm25 »

Hi,
Attached is sample of my diagram that should help to describe what I mean by pictures have different size on the diagram. As you can see pictures of these two people of Portait shape have different width. I want both pictures have the same height and both pictures have the same width.

1) What is the best way to show pictures on the diagram the same size without linking to face? Should I use Photoshop like program as suggested above to make every picture I add to FH the same size or crop the pictures?

2) Is it possible to make pictures on the diagram the same size using linking to face? When I link to face I draw a frame around picture to be included on the diagram. Is there a way to know the size of the frame I draw so I can make all pictures linked to face the same size if it is possible? If I understand, FH saves _AREA of the frame in ged file but it does not show it on the media view.

thanksImage
brian1950
Diamond

picture size

Post by brian1950 »

As tatewise has pointed out, the height of a picture is determined by the value in the Diagram Options. The width is determined by the width of the picture imported or chosen by when selecting. Therefore the width will vary. If I have 6x4' photo, it will be a different proportion to a 4x4'.

However, after having selected a link to face and viewed the subsequent diagram image, somethimes I go back to the link to face area in the group photo and adjust and edit the link to face selected area, eg when I feel I need more space around a face etc. In my diagram images the heights (determined by Diagram Options) are the same but the widths vary.

If FH fixed the height/width proportions for selecting a link to face there would a lot of disgruntle users, who would be forced to use a pre-determined proportion that would not be be suitable for all face images etc.

In the examples you show the two picture are different proportions. If say, you used the proportion of the first photo for the second photo, you may loose some of the second photo's width and thereby some of the image.

Brian1950
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

Regarding your 2 options in posting 'bm25 (01/07/11 - 05:28:45)' these suggestions might help.

1) RESIZE IN PHOTO EDITOR
You are basically correct. To ensure all pictures in diagrams are the same width you must resize them in a photo editor such as Photoshop or IrfanView. The resulting pictures must all have the same ratio between height and width. If you prefer, you can also make them all the same number of pixels high, and all the same number of pixels wide, in a fixed ratio.

2) LINKING TO FACE
You can get the same effect by using a frame to link to face. Every frame must have the same ratio between height and width (as above). I agree this is difficult, because FH does not show the frame dimensions. However, with the picture on high zoom so the frame is large, and using a 12' ruler on your monitor, you should get fairly good approximations to fixed ratios.

FYI the _AREA tag has the following format:
2 _AREA {A,B,C,D}
where the frame sides are defined in pixels as follows:
A = frame top side pixels below picture top edge
B = frame left side pixels to right of picture left edge
C = frame bottom side pixels below picture top edge
D = frame right side pixels to right of picture left edge

One snag with attempting to make all pictures the same size is that sometimes a picture may have to include undesirable parts either at top/bottom or left/right in order to achieve the fixed ratio between height and width.
This is particularly likely with pictures that you have not yet found, but want to add to diagrams in the future.

I hope this all helps.
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

See the Wish List Request for Standardise picture aspect ratio (6241).
bm

picture size

Post by bm »

Hi,
What is Maximum Picture Height?

I have maximum picture hight set to 0.75' on diagram options but picture height on my diagram as I measure it on my screen is about 1.25' instead of 0.75' I expected. To make sure my measurements correct I crop  picture using GIMP and set size to 0.75' in GIMP. The picture height in GIMP on the screen has correct height of 0.75'. So, why FH is not showing image the same height on the same screen as GIMP does? I understand the picture height can be less than maximum picture height but I see it is greater than maximum picture height.

thanks
Jane
Site Admin

picture size

Post by Jane »

The screen height is nothing to do with the print height, you need to print the diagram to check the heights.
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

It also depends on what Diagram Options > Scaling (10% - 500%) and what +/- Zoom button setting you have.
bm

picture size

Post by bm »

I have Diagram Options > Scaling set at 100% and +/- Zoom showing 100% in the status bar. I am not sure I understand comment 'The screen height is nothing to do with the print height.' Again, I created image 0.75' x 0.75' in Photoshop, saved it as jpg, opened it up and measured height on my PC screen using ruler. The height was as I expected 0.75'. Then, I added this image to person on the diagram in FH and measured its height on the screen. The height was 1.25'. I expected ti to be 0.75'. Please, help me understand why FH showing image height as 1.25' if max height set to 0.75'?

thanks
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

The screen presentation depends on your screen resolution.

On my PC at 1600 x 900 my 0.75' photos are 0.8' tall.

Switch to 1280 x 720 and they are 1.25' tall.

(all measurements approximate)

Also when you Save Diagram As there is a choice of file formats, but with modern PC and Printer options it is often possible to scale the diagram file to fit the paper available, and so the 0.75' dimension may expand or contract.
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

With a bit more experimentation and guesswork, I think this is what is happening.

Inside FH it works on the basis of 96 DPI (Dots Per Inch).
Thus, a 0.75' high photo is 96 x 0.75 = 72 dots=pixels high.

If the diagram is saved as a JPEG and printed at 100% resolution (96 DPI) then the photo will be 0.75' high.

However, on your monitor lets say its resolution is 600 pixels high and 10' high, then the photo will be 72 / 600 x 10 = 1.2' high.

QED
bm

picture size

Post by bm »

This is great explanation. I appreciate it very much. The only question I still have is why the same image on the same monitor in Photoshop/GIMP and FH diagram have different size? Is it because Photoshop and GIMP are not using 96 DPI basis.  

thanks
tatewise
Megastar

picture size

Post by tatewise »

Exactly correct.

Photo editors like Photoshop or GIMP will typically use the native pixel size and DPI of the image file. When you use their resize option you are effectively altering the DPI.

If in Windows Explorer you right-click on an image file and select Properties, then the Details tab will usually list the native pixel size and DPI of the image.

It appears that FH resizes the photo (or its Link to Face/Detail Frame) to 96 DPI for inserting into Diagrams and Reports.