* Evidence Management

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
capnkeith
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Evidence Management

Post by capnkeith »

I followed this thread earlier in the year with great interest. Now it's coming round to the time of year when I get more time for research.
Like most, by the sounds of it, my recording of sources was not as good as I would like it. So I am thinking of going back and using EM to recheck my family tree, or at least through the main lines.
Before I start, I would like to know if anyone has been using 'Lineascope', 'Bygones' or similar and what their thoughts are?
From the tutorials I prefer 'Lineascope', but like 'jmurphy' I want to know where my data is and have access to it when I want.
jmurphy
Megastar

Evidence Management

Post by jmurphy »

I haven't done much with either since I started this thread.
bsayer
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Evidence Management

Post by bsayer »

capnkeith said:
From the tutorials I prefer 'Lineascope', but like 'jmurphy' I want to know where my data is and have access to it when I want.
I've heard the request for Lineascope on the desktop. I'm working on version 2.0 now. In addition to the web, there will be Mac and Windows versions.

----Ben
http://www.genealogytools.com
jmurphy
Megastar

Evidence Management

Post by jmurphy »

Great news, Ben. Thanks.
tLeodiensian
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Evidence Management

Post by tLeodiensian »

Some time ago I came across this thread, and found the various points raised extremely interesting, as it looked to be discussing several issues that I have been wrestling with over the years. I have tried a couple of products (not Lineascope) and also a database I constructed myself, but found the fact that I have to enter the data all over again into FH quite a pain. I have not yet found a satisfactory method of detailing (in FH) the route through the assessment of the evidence to my conclusions.

I recently re-read this thread, following a request for items for the recent YFL FHUG meeting.
See :- http://yourfairladies.ning.com/events/y ... sers-group

Sadly we didn't have much time for an in depth discussion, but during the meeting several points of research were raised that might well have made use of evidence management techniques. So, I ended up asking myself how is it done ?

It seems to me that what I want is a system that ends in a properly annotated GEDCOM file, containing the original source data, the process that was gone through to arrive at my conclusions and reference to what weight I put on the various sources.

To get to these conclusions, the information I have gathered needs to be entered in a similar manner to Ancestral Sources' input forms, but without relating it to specific individuals at that time, as I don't really know if this event is relating to a member of my tree or not.

Something that is already in FH is the merge/compare feature that puts weights of compatibility on various events/facts attributed to a person, family or whole tree in comparison to another person, family or whole tree respectively.

It seems to me that, as it is possible to do some degree of evaluation with FH, by using merge/compare, I should be able compare the evidence I have gathered, but probably at the cost of creating multiple individual candidates for the same person.

Is it not therefore worth considering whether the combination of FH and AS could allow us to gather as yet unrelated events/facts and evaluate them, whether within the current GEDCOM structure or in an (interim) associated one ?

Perhaps our plugin authors might have some ideas !