* How big is a Family?

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
aragorn
Famous
Family Historian: None

How big is a Family?

Post by aragorn » 11 Jun 2004 21:06

I am just interested to know how much detail other people put on their trees and where do they draw the line?
On some parts of my tree I could go down several generations to extremely distant relatives and their spouses families ad infinitum.On some large parts of the main tree I split off some descendants into their own tree (making a note on the last individual as to the name of the new tree) so I still have the details but they don't 'clog up' the main tree. I also put the names of the parents of individuals who have married into the family in notes so I do not have too many records which are not relavent to me but someone else might want at a later date.I keep the details of my main tree in a 6x4 card index in case something happens to the computer! Just wondering how other people handle there info.
[grin][grin][grin]

ID:453

Mancbird
Silver
Family Historian: None

How big is a Family?

Post by Mancbird » 22 Oct 2004 20:27

Hello Aragorn, this is Pipin.
Only joking.
I have 6x4 cards but I haven't a clue what to do with them.
I use paper trees with as much information as I can.
When traveling to Wigan, Huddersfield
or Chester I find them very light to carry.
Never worked in an office in my life,
thought I was good at organizing until
family history.
My uninterested children have ged-com
files, and I have my trees on CD-RW.
Just in case.
I have found distant relatives on
family history web sites, they to have
my family tree.
So lets hope that not all those computer crash at the same time.

[wink][grin]

Dereks
Gold
Family Historian: V7

How big is a Family?

Post by Dereks » 24 Oct 2004 10:36

Personally I have decided that while ever the performance of Family Historian does not suffer, I will keep all the information that I have in a single file, no matter how distant that relative may be.  You never know when that information may be useful to someone.

To make it quicker to find the person I want to work on, I have created a number of lists, using the query tool to find all people related to me and then store the results in a list called 'The Sharp's', I have a another list for all my wife's relatives etc. etc., this way I don't have to scroll through a long list of distant relatives, many of whom are just related through marriage.  The result of this is a short list to work with, but because everyone is still included in the same file, even the distant relatives will still be shown in trees and other reports where it is relevant.

A number of relatives have mentioned to me that they can't see the point of recording some of our more distant relatives, but I believe that if I found out some information by coincidence or some other difficult means, then the chances of me finding out that information again, would be highly unlikely, so I hang on to it, just in case.

As for storing the data, I keep everything on my PC, with a current backup on floppy and also one on CD.  My father also has a copy on his PC.

I work in IT and have experience of disaster recovery plans and I am happy that that these backups are sufficient to cover most eventualities.  For example (and I know this is highly unlikely) but should my house blow-up and my PC and both backups be destroyed, providing I am OK, then at least I know my father still has his copy[wink]

The only paper records I keep are original certificates and other original documents.

I hope this may be of interest.

chrischap
Family Historian: V4

How big is a Family?

Post by chrischap » 24 Oct 2004 13:06

I tend to do the same as Derek.  My family tree is over 670 people now.

I can understand why people don't record distant relatives but in my experience they can be very useful to create those missing links.  

In one example, I had one man living as a boarder with a family in the 1881 census. I found this very early on in my research only to find out about two years later that the family was actually his sister and husband.  If I hadn't noted these people down in family historian then I would never have linked them together.

At one time I did record all people in households after that, and listed them on a non-relation named list in family historian.  One problem is when you have witnesses with the same surname but no idea who they are.  Creating a named list can help record these people to be fully added to the family later.

I have created a website that directly uses the Gedcom so I always have a backup on that server, plus at work/CD.  I have all census data, certificates etc printed out and scanned, just to be safe!

Chris Chapman
http://www.exploringthepast.co.uk