* Minor formatting error

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
phende
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Minor formatting error

Post by phende »

On the main window, the field title, Census Country:, overlaps the input box so that, for example, the U in UK is obscured.

ID:4515
nsw

Minor formatting error

Post by nsw »

No it doesn't overlap in normal circumstances and I'm sure this would have been reported if it was the case. I wonder if you have your text size magnified as discussed in this thread. If you have Windows 7 you can check by going to the Start menu and type 'Text Size' into the search box at the bottom.

I'm sure in ideal circumstances I'd cater for all these possibilities of the way people might have their systems set up but I haven't and it would be a lot of additional work for me to do so which I don't particularly need!

Regards

Nick
phende
Platinum

Minor formatting error

Post by phende »

You are correct, Nick. I have the DPI set to 120 on a screen resolution of 1920x1080. This is a big desktop but my old eyes can't cope with the small font. I'll live with the overlap.

Peter
nsw

Minor formatting error

Post by nsw »

Hi Peter

Over time as you use A.S. if you would like to make a list of where you spot these sort of issues (there are so many different screens and dialogues) and pass them to me then if by some miracle it turns out there aren't too many to fix, I might be able to do something to resolve it.

Thanks

Nick
arishmell
Famous

Minor formatting error

Post by arishmell »

I have the identical issue with DPI set to 120 on a screen resolution of 1280x768.  Changing the size of the window does not affect the overlap.

Maureen
nsw

Minor formatting error

Post by nsw »

Yes that's the same thing that Peter is describing and as I said Ancestral Sources hasn't been designed to run in different text modes. This is potentially a time consuming exercise to ensure that it will work in all the various DPIs that could be set.

Ancestral Sources is a free application (though some users make donations and this is a major motivation for me) that I develop in my limited spare time on top of a full-time job and young family and so ultimately I have to make decisions based on whether I should spend weeks making the interface cater for all these special cases or whether people would prefer to have the additional functionality that I'm aiming to build in.

I also have to be honest and say that the user interface design side of programming is the least interesting to me, I'm much happier when working on the more complex stuff going on underneath in the engine.
arishmell
Famous

Minor formatting error

Post by arishmell »

Oh, I'm not complaining, Nick! AS is an absolutely brilliant app, and I can live with a tiny cosmetic detail. It worried me when I first noticed it, but it doesn't obscure the whole box or affect input in any way. Please concentrate on the engine - and take time for yourself and your family too!

Maureen