* Keeping FH4 on two pc's in sync

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
peter5643
Platinum
Family Historian: None

Keeping FH4 on two pc's in sync

Post by peter5643 »

In the past with FH V3 to keep my data in sync on two pc's it was necessary to transfer not just the latest Gedcom file but also the Application settings and data. In my case as I use flags on diagrams I also had to take into account the connection between icons and flags stored in the registry.

In V4 with the use of Projects is it the case that all I have to do is transfer the Project folder across the two machines and that in V4 no relevent data that I need to take account of is held in the Registry?

ID:3701
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

90% of data is kept in the project folders.

The customisation data which can be shared across projects is stored in the application data folders (see knowledge base Moving data article).

Perhaps 1% is stored in the registry, but the majority of that are items from the preferences tab.
peter5643
Platinum

Post by peter5643 »

Thanks for reply Jane.

I would have thought one of the main reasons for having the Project folder was that all the data required for a project was 100% in it (or could be if all the multimedia files were copied into it). The holding of parameters in Application Data folders and in the Registry would be avoided (the later I find very inconvenient).

My 2 machines in question use Windows XP and Vista repectively and I therefore have the additional problem of Application Data held in different locations in the two versions of Windows.

I am aware of the 'Knowledge base Moving data article' but that was for V3 and would have assumed the procedure would have been simplified with V4.

I would have hoped that V4 would give me an easier way to sync 2 machines and also allow me to backup and restore my data (using SyncBack)across the 2 machines.

In the past with V3 I have managed to backing up the Application Data in its different location in XP and Vista. My main gripe is why is it still necessary in V4 to hold variable parameters in the Registry ??? I would have hoped that this would have been avoided in V4.
LesBremner
Silver

Post by LesBremner »

Are your two machines on the same Local Area Network (LAN), connected via a router?  If so, I can give you a solution which works for me.

Les.
peter5643
Platinum

Post by peter5643 »

Hi Les

No they are not on a network.
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Post by rfj1001 »

If you haven't already tried it, you could buy a cross-over cable and connect the 2 pc's through their network ports.

Assuming the project folder is no more than a directory, you could then use the Windows Briefcase feature on one of the pc's to keep all the files in sync with the other one.