* Editing Diagram Text Scheme

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
geopet544
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Editing Diagram Text Scheme

Post by geopet544 »

Is there any way to edit a text scheme for Diagrams so that the Marriage details appears only once in the Husband's box and not the spouse's box as well?

ID:3025
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Normally marriage will only appear in one box, if you look at one of the standard schemes you will see marriages normally show in the spouse box only except where no spouse box is shown.
geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

Thank you for your reply.
I am using the Text Scheme, and I cannot see how to have the marriage only in one box and not spouse.  Perhaps in order to have this I need to use individual text schemes for B,M,D, etc in order to be able to edit the marriage box to my requirement?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Sorry do you just want the marriage on the male box, if so you could simply flag all the males, using a query, and then use a flag to condition the line. Not sure what you are trying to achieve though as you may have problems with multiple marriages, but if you work at it it's probably possible.

What do you mean by different schemes for BMD?
geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

Sorry - I'm not making myself clear - so I'll try again:

In the diagram, I want the Spouse Name, Marriage Date and Place to appear in the Male relative's box and NOT repeated in his Spouse Box (I am showing separate boxes for the marriage partners) but I also want it to appear in a Female relative's box but not in her spouse's box.
So, for example, if I am doing a chart for the SMITH family, and I have John Smith married to Nellie Jones, I only want to see the Spouse Name, Marriage Date & Place to appear in John Smith's box; equally, if John Smith and Nellie Jones produce a female child, say, Susan Smith, and she subsequently marries Gordon Brown - I only want Spouse Name, Marriage Date & Place to appear in Susan's box, not her spouse's box; the same should apply to second and subsequent marriages, if any.

I hope this makes sense.

Peter[rolleyes]
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Post by ChrisBowyer »

We do it the other way round, so the marriage date and place appear only in the spouse box... Seems to me this is necessary in the case of multiple marriages. For example a bit of my tree looks like this...

geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

Thanks for your reply;

does that mean (A) what I want isn't possible? or (B) what I want isn't practicable because it won't show all marriages?

Cheers
Peter
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Post by ChrisBowyer »

I'm not sure what's possible; I remember spending a lot of time fiddling about with the text scheme to get it the way I liked it, and haven't touched it since. But even if you can, it doesn't seem to me to make much sense under Samson (in the example above) to have 2 marriage dates and places without any diagramatic relationship to which wife we're talking about.
nsw

Post by nsw »

The default scheme is the same as described by Chris. I'm not going to say anything different to what Chris has said, just use another diagram to reinforce it:

[img]http://www.fhug.rjt.org.uk/images/uploads/Tree.jpg[/img]

The marriage is shown in the spouse's box, regardless of gender. If the marriage dates were instead shown in Billy and Catherine Smith's boxes then there would be two marriage dates in each and how would you know which marriage each referred to? What if they married lots of times? Henry VIII would have six marriage dates in his box!

So to summarise I would say that what you want to do isn't practical.
geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

OK - but what you've both missed is that I want SPOUSE NAME as well as Marriage Date & Place - this would clearly identify which marriage was which.

I currently have Spouse name, Date & place - but it is appearing in both boxes and I want it to appear in only one box of the pair as described above.

Peter
jeemo
Famous
Family Historian: V5

Post by jeemo »

Peter
If you use the standard Text Scheme {Birth, Marr, Div, Death} I think this will give you the marriages as you are requesting. Clone this Text Scheme; make other alterations (e.g. maybe remove Divorce, change fonts, etc) and then save as a Custom Text Scheme giving it an unique name. You can then use it whenever you require.

John
geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

Yes - but what I want to know is: what are the exact settings in all the various boxes when you come to edit the marriage line?
Tombaston
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Tombaston »

After much playing around I have found something that may give what you are looking for.  The template you need is

Marr: %INDI.~SPOU[1+]>NAME:FULL%, %INDI.~SPOU[1+]>FAMS>MARR.DATE:COMPACT% in %INDI.~SPOU[1+]>FAMS>MARR.PLAC:TIDY%

The easiest way to achieve this is to copy one of the existing BMD schemes and clone the Marriage line.  Click on Edit for the cloned line and paste the string into the Template field.  In the Edit Text Scheme Box you also need to change some of the default Box Types and Conditions as below.
  • For Descendant box type, change Display Option for Spouse Boxes and Display option for Remarriage Boxes to any - this adds the text to the descendant.
  • Deselect Box Types Spouse and Remarriage - this stops it being displayed in the Spouse boxes.
This gives a Descendant Tree as below.  This only works at present with the Spouse in Own Box or No Spouse Info layouts.  You will need to play with it further if you want One Box per Marriage.  It is also only set for Descendant Trees, so again you will need to play if you want to use others.  I also haven't checked what happens if the second spouse was previously married, but I suspect the place and dates will disappear.
Note the template above only seems to work with INDI.~SPOU.  I tired various combinations of FAM.MARR with various [1+] in different places but you end up with repetitions of the first spouse details with no mention of the second or higher.  Editing Text Schemes is a complex subject particularly if you want to do something different like this.  If you need to edit one it is best to create a dummy file with fake names as I have and try it on a few simple situations first.
Tombaston
Famous

Post by Tombaston »

I should add that I also agree with Chris and Nick above that the standard layout is much clearer. If you use my template or an edited version of it there may be errors that I have not foreseen (on top of the multiple married spouse, ancestor trees and one box per marriage errors that I have pointed out above). The trouble with these errors is that you are unlikely to notice something wrong on a tree, you will just end up with missing data amongst however many people you are displaying. It may be a considerable time later you notice Aunty Mabel's second marriage is shown incorrectly and you will then spend a lot of time working out what the template does again in order to correct it.

You are welcome to try what I have suggested above and if this does what you want then good, it is only because FH is so flexible that it can be achieved. You just need to be aware that as something unusual there may be problems down the line.
Tombaston
Famous

Post by Tombaston »

I have uploaded my text scheme to the Downloads section of FHUG where it is called Marriage Details in Descendant Box. See http://www.fhug.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cg ... emes&id=7
geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

Dear Dave

Great - terrific - many thanks for your kind consideration. I will test it over the next few days with various trees that I have ... and let you know if it works.

With gratitude

Peter