* Mother in law on All relatives chart

Homeless Posts from the old forum system

Mother in law on All relatives chart

Post by Guest »

I am trying out Family Historian Demo 2.3 and it is the best genealogy program I have tried yet.

However, there is one feature I miss. If I enter myself, my spouse, my parents and her parents and show the All relatives diagram, I can only see 4 of us at the same time. I would like to see all 6 of us.

The user manual states that (p. 41) 'Ancestor and Descendant diagrams extend out both upwards and downwards. And All Relatives diagrams extend out both downwards, and upwards-and-then-downwards. But they don’t extend out downwards-and-then-upwards (this is because your descendants’ ancestors are not per se your relatives, but your ancestors’ descendants are).'

That is fine in some cases, but I consider my mother in law 'part of the family' and would like to see her on the tree.

Would it be possible to add an option so that the tree will also extend downwards-and-then-upwards (or at least add extension buttons so that I can extend the tree manually myself)?

If I will be able to do a diagram like that I will go ahead and buy the product.

(This is probably related to the wish for an Everyone style chart as discussed here:
http://www.fhug.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cg ... ay&num=486)

Best regards,
nielses

ID:1042
Dereks
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Post by Dereks »

It is already possible to do this.  The all relatives chart can work for a couple too.

Start off by selecting yourself and click on the button to draw the all relatives chart.

Now hold down the Alt key while simultaneously clicking on your spouse.

Click the button to draw the all relatives chart again.  This time the chart will show all relatives of the two of you.

This also works for the ancestor & descendent chart too.
Dereks
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Post by Dereks »

Oops! sorry that should read
Ctrl not Alt [oops]
nielses
Family Historian: None

Post by nielses »

Thank you very much. It works!

However, I would like to be even more demanding. :-)

I would like to even show for example my cousins wifes parents. Is that possible or will it be in the future?

Niels
Tombaston
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Tombaston »

I think this is actaully the All-in-One diagram in the View the Votes section on the left. As you can see it is high on the wish list, however there has been recent abuse of the voting system, which has distorted everything.

There is no guarantee that Calico Pie will actually implement anything from the wish list, but I believe they regularly check out this web site and listen to what their user base want.
nielses
Family Historian: None

Post by nielses »

Thank you. I have now voted for that wish.