* Died of

Homeless Posts from the old forum system

Died of

Post by Guest » 10 Sep 2005 15:02

We have an ancestor who was killed whilst on duty as a US Marshal.  In 'events' I entered 'Gun Fight' and of course the narrative report reads, 'Died of Gun Fight.'  I would like to change the preposition to 'in' so that I don't have to say he died of lead poisoning or bad luck.  Is there a way that the preposition in the event could be changed?  The same restriction applies if, for example, you wanted to say. 'died in child birth.'

ID:1035

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Died of

Post by Jane » 10 Sep 2005 17:08

I would tend to enter, in the cause, 'gun shot wounds sustained in a gun fight'

Dereks
Gold

Died of

Post by Dereks » 11 Sep 2005 10:31

Agreed, I have two similar examples and have used the following:

1) Died of 'injuries sustained during action in the first world war'

2) Died of 'complications arising while giving birth'

Died of

Post by Guest » 11 Sep 2005 15:27

thank you jane and derek. I guess we have to work around the fixed preposition. your suggestions are good.

Rumblefische
Family Historian: V6

Died of

Post by Rumblefische » 12 Oct 2005 17:56

I haven't tried this, because I don't using the reporting features of FH, but there is a text file, standard.fhf, in the Fact Types folder that contains the 'died of' text of which you speak; you can try editing this to something different - of course this will apply to all causes of death.

pwkelly
Family Historian: None

Died of

Post by pwkelly » 19 Oct 2005 14:05

Thanks to Tim for his helpful suggestion of editing the Fact Files folder.  This does not work and I suppose it would need an alteration to the master program before anything edited in Fact Files takes place??  Could Simon please give me a patch or advice on how I can remove the preposition after 'died'.  I can think of different workarounds for various causes of death.  e.g. complications in child birth, asphyxiation from immersion in the sea, lead poisoning (shot); but would rather use a simpler form.
If we asked my Dad what old Mrs Thingy died of, his standard response was, 'She died of a Tuesday.'  But that's a lancastrian phrase and doesn't fit all circumstances.
peter

Jane
Site Admin

Died of

Post by Jane » 19 Oct 2005 14:31

This is already on the wish list for a future version. Remember the free upgrade to 2.3 added narrative reports so the fact text was added at the same time as a new feature.