* Gender reassignment

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
hsw

Gender reassignment

Post by hsw »

I have a relative whose partner is undergoing gender reassignment. Their birth certificate (which will cease to be available in 12-18 months) shows them as one gender; once the reassignment process completes, they will legally be the other gender.

The couple are currently in a civil partnership but will marry when they are able.

Any suggestions how I should represent all this in FH?

ID:6438
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gender reassignment

Post by PeterR »

If the partner were not already in your file and you added them for the first time in say about 18 months, I guess you would enter them with their gender as it will be then, as well as the marriage event details in due course.  If you later discovered the history you would perhaps add that as a note, e.g. for the civil partnership event.

Should the fact that the partner is already in your file mean that the above version of events could not be recorded?
hsw

Gender reassignment

Post by hsw »

The partner is already in my file, and their ancestry (at least as far as their parents).

I suspect this is an example where the modern structure of families is not provided for in GEDcom.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Gender reassignment

Post by Jane »

I think I would go down the custom attribute route. Although you can only have one sex field, it should still be possible to document the facts.