* create web pages with php

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
Bonzo
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

create web pages with php

Post by Bonzo »

As far as I know you can have as many passwords and users as you like. This is a link to a online password generator and the page has a link to some more information:
http://www.htaccesstools.com/htpasswd-generator/
You have a password file containing all the users with their passwords.

If you were creating the files through cpanel you may have a problem creating that many users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Valkrider »

You can have as many as you like. One site I am a member of has over 2500 members controlled in this way. It then saves all the hard work you were proposing.
ruhane
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by ruhane »

colin
.htaccess seems to offer a simple password login.How do I manage the admin of the passwords, changing passwords and sending emails to notify users? I looked on line at .htaccesstools.com and I am confused.I will wait for plugin and see if this does the job thanks.
keir
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I was holding off adapting the Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin until the .htaccess technique had drawn a blank, because that would offer a more generic solution that many seem to have working already.

I don't see the point in inventing a new solution to a problem that has already been resolved.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

ruhane,

Just Google it.

That is what I did for you. This is the first result and covers the whole topic.

http://www.elated.com/articles/password ... -htaccess/
Bonzo
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

Post by Bonzo »

As Valkride said google is your friend; I searched for 'php .htaccess pasword manager' and the fourth result looks to be what you want:
http://www.innvo.com/c/PHP/1311865299-htpasswd-manager
ruhane
Diamond

Post by ruhane »

Colin
Sorry but I have tried and tried to work out a simple .htaccess on a directory in my webspace. Despite the instructions which I follow this will not work. I don't know what I am doing wrong, where I go for help or even whether I have not done something correctly. If it is easy to use then I do not understand. Sorry, but I am wasting days trying to sort out a simple solution which is extremely hard to grasp or even get beyond the first point. Maybe I need instructions I can understand! Your links provide information but are very short on precise detail which does not help at all. All I need to do is provide a simple access to a protected directory with minimum complications. Thank you for your efforts but until I can get the .htaccess to work I cannot evaluate its effectiveness.
Keir
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Keir

open notepad and paste the below into in

Code: Select all

Admin:fIT1AlwWXhG7c
Save this file as htpasswd.txt

Create a new notepad file and paste this in to it

Code: Select all

AuthName 'Test Folder'
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /.htpasswd
Require valid-user
Save this file as htaccess.txt

Copy both these files using ftp to the directory that you wish to protect, I suggest that you have a test directory on your server with just a temporary index.html page in it.

rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess and htpasswd.txt as .htpasswd

Then in your browser try to go to the new directory on your server you should be presented with the login screen

the user id is Admin and the password is 123456

Once they are accepted you will see the new index.html page that you have in this folder.

This is not a secure way of doing things and you need to put the .htpasswd file in another folder read up on that link that I sent or this one http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/3

That will prove the concept for you and you can then build on this.

As you can see you just need 2 small files on your server and it saves the hassle of modifying all your files.
ruhane
Diamond

Post by ruhane »

Colin
Although it still will not work, i think this is because the web host has its own .htaccess system. it seems i cannot control this myself i have to allow other controls to take over.
Thank you and tatewise for all your help, i must rethink the whole thing and decide if i want to use outside methods of securing the site.
Keir
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

If my host didn't let me have control of my server to do stuff like this I think I would be looking for a new host. There are plenty out there.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Keir,
Presumably you can't use the web host's own .htaccess system?

Do you still believe your original PHP approach will work?

Have you actually had protected access working using PHP on your web host?

If so, I can try adapting the Plugin.

Mike
ruhane
Diamond

Post by ruhane »

Colin

Good news, I seem to have built secure directory! Thanks for your help.
Keir [smile]
ruhane
Diamond

Post by ruhane »

Mike

I have used .htaccess and it seems to work. I have not yet put my full research up online, so i will reserve judgement until i have tested the full tree file. I may come back to you if this proves less than it seems! I would like to have a go at a plugin but it may be a while before i can spare the time. Thank you very much for your prompting which has with Colin made the difference.

Keir
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Keir

Glad you got it finally sorted. [cool]

Colin