* posts show as unread even after viewing them

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

posts show as unread even after viewing them

Post by BillH »

Is anyone else having this problem? After viewing a post and going back to the list of posts they are still showing as unread. I am signed into the forum.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: posts show as unread even after viewing them

Post by tatewise »

I am not getting the problem, but it sounds the same as Posts not being marked as read. (16273).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Similar symptom, but I'm not sure the issue is the same. I can leave FHUG and go back and the posts are still showing as unread. I am using the lastest Chrome on Windows 10.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I figured out what was going on. I was going to the post just to force it to be marked as read... I wasn't actually reading the post. What I failed to recognize was that they were multi page posts and I wasn't going to the last page. :oops:
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Wonder if we could have a "Mark topic read" function at the top of individual topics (similar to the Topics list screens). Usually one can decide if you want to read all of a topics posts after having read the top one (or few).
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure that is the problem Bill, or the solution David.

When you open a new entry, all the postings are shown at once and 'marked as read' without needing to scroll through them.

I suspect what happened is that Bill read a posting, but by his next visit somebody had added a Reply that needed reading.
If Bill had not scrolled through all the postings, then on 2nd visit he won't know for sure whether one had been added or not.

BTW:
I've changed my preferences so the latest Reply posting in a thread is shown first with earlier postings below.
That way I always see the latest messages first without needing to scroll through to the bottom.
This works well if you fairly regularly read new postings.
The setting is User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display post order direction > Descending which is the opposite of the default.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mike, I use the default display (earliest post first) and can confirm Bill's findings. If there are multiple pages in a topic but you haven't opened the last page the topic is treated as unread. This makes sense, as there are some posts you haven't seen.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! I misunderstood the point about the problem only applying to multi-Page threads. :oops:
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

I suspect what happened is that Bill read a posting, but by his next visit somebody had added a Reply that needed reading.
If Bill had not scrolled through all the postings, then on 2nd visit he won't know for sure whether one had been added or not.
If you click the small square next to the subject title it takes you to the last unread post. I am sure that most people do this but perhaps worth mentioning for those that don't.

Brian
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Brian,

Where is this small square? I don't see one next to the subject title in the list.
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 8758 times
Thanks
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Your attachment shows a topic that has been read. If you have any unread posts you can go to Quick Links at the top right of this page and the drop down menu includes "Unread Posts". If you click that item it then gives a summary page of all unread posts and you should see that there is an orange square (actually not a square if you look closely) and if you hover over it it reads "View first unread post". Click that square.

I am assuming that you have signed in and using the standard forum template.

Brian
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

brianlummis wrote: there is an orange square (actually not a square if you look closely) and if you hover over it it reads "View first unread post". Click that square.
OK, I see it now. I never knew you could do this. Thanks for the tip!