* Knowledge Base Index/Contents

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Knowledge Base Index/Contents

Post by tatewise »

Now we need a comprehensive set of Index topic headings & sub-headings to categorise the [kb]|[/kb] articles.

Those topics will then appear in the alphabetic_index#subject_index_style|> Subject Index list.

Any suggestions for topics from users are welcomed, especially relative newcomers.

Note that the same article can have several alternative topic entries.
e.g.
Family Historian ~ Installation Guide
and
Installation Guide ~ Family Historian

So if a user was looking how to install FH they would find it under both headings.

There can be as many cascaded/nested sub-headings as you like (within reason).
e.g.
Family Historian ~ Installation Guide ~ Details & Problems ~ Licence Missing
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It's hard to know where to start with a list of headings and sub-headings, because the potential number is so large.

Perhaps the way to start would be with key words from the existing titles but which don't currently appear at the beginning of the titles, as you have done with
Family Historian ~ Installation Guide and Installation Guide ~ Family Historian
so that each article can be found in at least two different ways.

If I had the time (and I'm afraid really I haven't at the moment) I would try skimming through the entire KB recording key words/phrases in the text of the articles which are not in the title....

Meanwhile a few ideas that come to mind but which are not easy to find in the existing KB titles list are:
Geocoding
Error message
Tree (aka diagram or chart, but many new users ask about their 'tree' layout or printing)
Customisation (e.g. of Property box, diagrams, saving customisations)
Data References
Functions
Photos (aka Media, but new users might look for 'photo')
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@Lorna ~ I have added some index entries based on your topics, but the wiki needs refreshing for them to appear in the alphabetic_index|> Subject Index.

If anyone else has any ideas for topics to add to that Subject Index, then please tell us here.

I have copied the Changes, FAQs, Index sub-section from the end of each main section to its Introduction at the top under Changes, FAQs, Titles & Index that has both an Alphabetic Titles and Alphabetic Index cross-reference for just that main section (although some Alphabetic Index lists are minimal until more topics are added).
What do you think?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, putting Changes, FAQs, Titles & Index at the top of each section is a good idea.

A few more topics that come to mind are:

Website creation and CD/DVD creation which are covered in the various Family Tree Tips/ Family Tree Wizard titles.

Icons and Text Schemes both of which only appear under Diagram.. in the title list
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I am out today, but have put a note on my desktop to run the rebuild when I have time.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."