* Chrome and FHUG

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
DavidNewton
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Chrome and FHUG

Post by DavidNewton »

This is not a question; it is an observation which may help in case anyone else is having the same problem.

A day or so back my automatic login to FHUG stopped working and I was having to log in every time. The form was filled in correctly with my user name and password so it was a simple click of the login button, the remember me box, although selected, was not remembering me. This problem occurred with Google Chrome but not with Microsoft Edge. I verified that Chrome had saved my password for FHUG and then started searching the forums for a solution. In the end I found (and I cannot remember where, sorry) that a possible solution was to re-type the username and password, and click remember me. This I did and it appears to have solved the, very minor but nontheless irritating, problem.

David
Added 2 hours later. That did not solve the problem permanently!!
brianlummis
Superstar

Re: Chrome and FHUG

Post by brianlummis »

Sounds as if it might be a cookies issue. If you go to Settings in Chrome and then to Advanced - Privacy and Security then click Clear Browsing History - this opens a modal window with 3 options under the Basic tab. The second option - Cookies and other site data - should be not be ticked. Does that help?
Brian
Russell
Diamond

Post by Russell »

It does not seem to be purely a Chrome issue - I use Firefox (v 57.0.4) and I'm needing to relog in each day too.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Thanks Brian. I looked at those settings and the Cookies etc is not ticked.
I thought nothing to lose here so I searched for the cookies from fhug (21 in total) and deleted them all then changed my password to force Chrome to update it and see if that works. Of course my sync settings may simply replace the cookies!!
This is a recent problem and naturally one can't help wondering if this is a by-product of a windows update.

David
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I noticed the same thing a few days ago when accessing FHUG via Chrome on an android tablet, so we probably can't blame a windows update this time! Like you, I re-entered user name and password and since then it has been OK. Unlike Russell, I have not had any problem with Firefox.
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Just to show it is not a global problem, I also use Chrome and have not experienced this problem. I have Win 10 updated with all the latest updates.
Bill Henshaw
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

I think this is a more complicated problem that I first thought and FHUG is not the only site I regularly use which is affected by this problem, e.g. BBC,... On the other hand a number of sites I regularly use are not affected, e.g. WebUser, Family Tree Forum,.... None of the solutions mentioned permanently resolved the issue with Chrome.

I have 4 browsers installed on my machine: Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer. Of these four Chrome and Edge have the problem Firefox and Internet Explorer do not. In fact if I open FHUG with Edge (not logged in) and then use the menu option in Edge to view the site in Internet Explorer then IE automatically logs me in to FHUG

Since this is for me a recent problem then it could be related to interaction between recently installed software and software updates. I note that Chrome received a big security update on 24 Jan and Firefox, when I started it also updated. I don't use Firefox much so have no idea when that update became available.

So this is not a FHUG problem and I have already spent too much time trying to sort it, so I intend to sit back and wait for it to go away!!

David