* Can't stay signed in

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Can't stay signed in

Post by AnneEast »

For the last 2 weeks or so, I have had to sign in every time I come to FHUG. I never used to have to do this! I'm using an iPad and do tick the Remember me box each time.
Anne
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Can't stay signed in

Post by Jane »

I don't have an iPad, it's possible Apple is preventing the cookies from being retained or they are being removed.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

As Jane says, it may be Apple are blocking cookies being saved. You may have to change a setting that makes FHUG a safe site to visit (A white list or something similar), Sorry I can't help you on how to do this, as like Jane I don't have an iPad and don't know much about Apple as a whole. But have a root around in the internet settings and you may find a setting to allow a site to save cookies or you may even find that FHUG has been (Accidently or not) added to a Black list and had it's ability to save cookies removed. Not sure if you use antivirus but that may even be the culprit, by making changes to your firewall and/or adding FHUG to a black list.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Thanks for the suggestions. This is something that has only just started and I've been using this iPad in the same way for a couple of years. I did wonder if it was something to do with the recent move?
Anne
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

AnneEast wrote: 19 Sep 2019 18:41 I did wonder if it was something to do with the recent move?
I had similar problems starting a few weeks ago - so also wondered.
It may be that the new themes set cookies that are less persistent?
Anyway remembering to click the box on the log in page "Remember me" seems to do the trick (although you don't want to do that on a shared computer)
David
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry David, but Anne said she is already ticking the Remember me box each time !
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

AnneEast wrote: 19 Sep 2019 18:41 This is something that has only just started and I've been using this iPad in the same way for a couple of years.
Don't think for one minute that because you are using the same iPad and apps you have always used, that there haven't been some updates made that have made changes to your security settings. You could try installing and using a different browser, that should tell you if it is your normal browser settings that have changed. I am only guessing as I don't know if browsers have their own settings or they are set under iOS settings. Again a stab in the dark as Apple ain't my forte, but clearing you browsing data including cookies (if that's a thing in iOS) and then trying to log back in and save your password could be another option. Just remember if you clear your browsing data and cookies (if you can) that you will have to log back in to all of the websites you use that store cookies to let you login without entering a password. Always a good idea to do this every now and then anyway, then any unwanted cookies etc are removed. As I said I am just guessing as I am not sure if Apple does some of this behind the scenes and it may not even be an option.
William

AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Strange that it doesn't happen with any of my other 'permanently signed in' websites then!
Anne
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

My understanding is that "permanently signed in" and similar depends on cookies.

When a cookie is set, I believe it can be set as "indefinite" but in practice most "persistent" log in cookies are set to a maximum of "a year" - sometimes much less (for LDS it is for instance 14 days).

That is why I wonder if the change of host and associated changes has changed the persistence of the cookies set either with/or without the "keep me signed in" box ticked.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Fingers crossed I haven't had to sign in for a couple of days now. Nothing changed at my end as far as I know.
Anne
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Humph! Back to signing in again now. Bah!
Anne
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Anne,

Have you tried deleting the Family Historian User Group cookies and then refreshing the page and signing in? I have had several websites which have had problems like this that were resolved by deleting the cookies for that site. I think somehow the cookies were getting corrupted.

Bill
Last edited by BillH on 03 Oct 2019 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Anne, you've jinxed me. I have just started having the same problem with Amazon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
William

AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Anne