* selecting records for diagram

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
zombiex1
Silver
Family Historian: None

selecting records for diagram

Post by zombiex1 »

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie to FH and am having a problem creating a diagram with just the records I need in it.
I have lots of records which makes for a large diagram.
For my grand children I need simplified a diagram which just shows both sets of grand parents / mom & dad / themselves plus a few other notable persons.

I expected to be able to list the individuals and then place a check/tick alongside their names and then click for a diagram of said individuals.

I'm sure you must be able to do this but can't find a way at the moment.
If someone could point the way I'd be grateful.
Al

ID:6314
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by LornaCraig »

I would suggest using an 'All Relatives' diagram where the diagram 'root' are the couple who are the parents of your grandchildren (i.e. your son/daughter and his/her spouse).

There are various ways to select the couple as the diagram root: perhaps the best (because it may be useful in the future) is to set up the Records window to include a tab for Family records, if you have not already done so. (Use Tools > Preferences > Records window and set Record Type Display Options for Families to 'Always Show'.) From the Families tab in the Records window then select the couple and click the 'All Relatives' diagram symbol on the main toolbar. Another way is to select one of the couple in an existing diagram and hold down the Ctrl key while selecting the other, then click the 'All Relatives' diagram symbol.

This diagram will now include both sets of grandparents for your grandchildren. If you don't want any earlier generations to show, use Diagram > Options > General tab and set Generations up to 2. (Or you could click on the expansion buttons above the grandparents to close off the earlier branches.)

Hopefully this will also include the other 'notable persons' you want, such as any uncles or aunts of the grandchildren. If there are any other people showing in the diagram you don't want then right-click on each of the unwanted people and select 'Hide'.

I hope this helps.
jeemo
Famous
Family Historian: V5

Post by jeemo »

... perhaps the best (because it may be useful in the future) is to set up the Records window to include a tab for Family records, if you have not already done so. (Use Tools > Preferences > Records window and set Record Type Display Options for Families to 'Always Show'.) From the Families tab in the Records window then select the couple and click the 'All Relatives' diagram symbol on the main toolbar.
Another way that used to be available in the records window was to select one person, hold down the Ctrl key and then select the other person. From v5 this is no longer available.  If the two are selected the diagram symbols are greyed out.  As far as I can see you now have to use the Families tab or the diagram method mentioned by Lorna.

This suggests to me that the Families tab should be showing by default when Historian is installed, as that preference is not obvious to a new user.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

John Owen said:

This suggests to me that the Families tab should be showing by default when Historian is installed, as that preference is not obvious to a new user.
I think I agree, John.
There is still a way of selecting the couple from the individual tab of the Records window, though: expand the record for one of them and select the Spouse family '...with XXX'.

Oddly, in the All tab of the Property box it works if you select either 'Spouse family' or '...with XXX' but in the records window it only works if you select '..with XXX' (diagram symbols are greyed out if you select 'Spouse family'). Maybe this inconsistency is a bug?

This is getting a bit off-topic from the original question so I hope we are not confusing the questioner!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect you are both talking about FH V5, which has introduced some new ways of selecting couples.
These are all explained in:
Help > Family Historian Help > Using Family Historian > How to... > Diagrams and Charts > Display a Diagram For a Couple.
Alternatively, just enter Display a Diagram For a Couple into the Search tab of the Help window.

One of the easiest ways is in the Focus Window on either Spouses & Children tab or Parents & Siblings tab.
Select the blue bar below the couple, where it often says Married: and gives a date.
Then click the required Diagram Icon.

Alternatively, use View > Standard/Custom Diagram Types and choose Diagram Name.
In the popup Select Diagram Root window choose Couple as the Tree Root Type and Browse... for the couple on the Families tab.
zombiex1
Silver

Post by zombiex1 »

I'm afraid I'm not getting this at all.
I'm on version 4.1.3. (just not used it very much)

There are no options under preferences to add 'families' so I went back to installations settings and managed to change it there..so far so good, but after selecting the two parents.. I simply get a full diagram.. going to diagram options and selecting 2 generations just gives me a blank chart..

so its back to the drawing board. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but what I do not know.!

Thanks for your help so far
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, in FH V4.1.3 use Tools > Record Window Options and set Record Type Display Options all to Always show.

Then select the Family Record for your son/daughter and his/her spouse.
Click the View All Relatives Diagram Icon in toolbar, or use View > Standard Diagrams > All Relatives.

This should show all their relatives.
Use Diagram > Options > General tab to set Generations Up: 2 and Generations Down: 1.
Untick Save as default and click OK.

Now the Diagram should show just your grandchildren, their parents, and both grandparents, together with any other spouse or siblings of these three generations.

To hide any unwanted box, right-click the box and choose Hide from the menu.

When satisfied, you need to save the Diagram settings for future use.
Use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type and give it a memorable name.
Then in future use View > Diagram > Custom Diagram Type and select that memorable name to obtain the same settings.

Now to export the Diagram to send to your family.
Use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accept the default options.
You can then either E-mail or print the resulting PDF Diagram file.

You can also Save Diagram As > Family Historian Chart and then in future View > Saved Charts will bring back the same Diagram but with any updated Facts.
zombiex1
Silver

Post by zombiex1 »

Thank you !...thats cracked it...

I'll need to start reading up on FH a bit..it's very powerful just a mite complicated..

Al
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

I did the same sort of thing by creating a new project.  It meant I could give assign names in a way that was meaningful to my grandson, and attach a recent photo so the person is recognisable to him, which is not necesssarily one that I would want in there for posterity.
eg 'Bryan Langley' in name field
'Great Grandpa' in alternate name field

I then could spend most of my time tweaking the diagroam to make it all fit tidily on one page.  As he grows, or other relatives want something similar, it will be easy enough to amend to fit new requirements.