* Copying images to Media File

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
JTempest
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Copying images to Media File

Post by JTempest »

My question arises from the contemplation of organizing the printing of a large chart, including photos, on continuous paper. I have found a printer who is able to do that, but would require my whole data base to be sent to him.
I can download my file on to a disc, which I assume would include all linked photos which have been copied to the Media File. But would exclude those photos which, for whatever reason, have not been copied.
So, my two-part question is; how do I easily identify any photos which have not been copied and how do I now copy them?
Cheers.  

ID:5963
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

The best way to do this is

1. See [wiki]how_to:create_an_export_gedcom_based_on_a_diagram[/wiki] to extract all the people required for the diagram, you can exclude all records not linked, as you are just printing a chart and externalise the links.

2. Create a new project from the exported gedcom and allow FH to copy in all the media for the chart.

3. Copy in your Chart file from your original project.

The above will give a Project folder with what is required for printing.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
JTempest
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Post by JTempest »

Thanks Jane. I shall remember that link for when I have all the information I need for printing.
In the meantime, re the first part of my question, is there any easy way of checking for links which exist to 'My Pictures' in my total tree which have not been copied to the Media File? Or does it not really matter?
John.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

When you do steps 2 and 3 only media required for the people on the chart will be copied.

If you want to see what is linked where you can use the Tools>Work With External File Links
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To clarify how to interpret Tools > Work With External File Links the following may help.

Multimedia images in your Project Media folder are listed under the relative path:
Project Data Folder + Media ...

Multimedia images outside your Project are listed under an absolute path starting with a drive letter:
e.g. C: + Users + Username + Documents ...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

A Multimedia Query could also be used, if you only want to see the links rather than change them.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)