* Upgrade path for eventual V5

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Upgrade path for eventual V5

Post by rfj1001 »

That there is a simpler way than installing versions 2, 3 and 4 first

ID:3734
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Just to add to any discussion of this wish list request, see this thread:

http://www.fhug.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cg ... y&num=3341

I suppose the cynic in me would say that its in Calico's interest to not make it easier, because its more likely to encourage people to buy a new version and is probably not a big enough issue to stop you wanting to upgrade. I'll moan about having to do the various installs but I'll still do it!
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I certainly agree, and would vote for such a wish-list item. My upgrade to v4 was straightforward because I already had V3 on the required laptop.  But I expect that by the time V5 is ready, I will be moving to a new laptop and would not relish digging out all the original installation and intermediate-upgrade CDs and registration keys; some of them may no longer work properly either.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Logically it ought to be possible to install the upgrade edition of v5 onto a bare machine - at some point in the proceedings, the installation routine should ask for the v4 CD to be loaded temporarily and the v4 CD should be accepted whether it's an upgrade or full edition.

I'm fairly certain that's how MS Office worked the last time I loaded the upgrade onto a bare machine.

The other chain mentioned by Nick seemed to deviate somewhat from the original topic.

Adrian
Adrian
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Adrian Bruce said:
Logically it ought to be possible to install the upgrade edition of v5 onto a bare machine - at some point in the proceedings, the installation routine should ask for the v4 CD to be loaded temporarily and the v4 CD should be accepted whether it's an upgrade or full edition.
The version 4 might not be a CD, it could just be a download. Probably easier if it just asks for the version 4 registration key as proof of upgrade.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

The version 4 might not be a CD, it could just be a download
Yes - I confess I deliberately didn't mention downloads because I wasn't sure how to handle them!
Adrian