* Share Facts across family

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Share Facts across family

Post by Peter_H_Williams »

A marriage and certain other facts are shared between individuals by default.
I would like the ability to share a fact across selected individuals.  For example:
1. The death of a sibling during childhood
2. The Adoption of a child amongst other siblings
3. The death of a parent during childhood
4. A father being sent to a Debtors prison in childhood
5. The return/departure of a father in the Navy on both the wife's Property box and the children.

(Jane,  I asked about this at Dillington and you said others had requested it but I can't see this currently in the wishlist, unless it is quite differently described)
Thank you

ID:6661
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I guess you are talking about the Facts listed on the Facts tab of an Individual Property Box.

All the person's own Individual Facts and all their Family Facts are listed by default.

Listing the Birth/Adoption of Children on the parent's Facts tab is an existing option.

Wish List 60: Ability to show deaths/marriages of close relations on the Events Tab satisfies your number 3.

It seems unlikely that a feature for specific Facts to be listed in other specific Individuals will be implemented.
A generic feature to nominate certain types of Individual Fact to be listed on the Facts tab of specific classes of close relation (Parent, Spouse, Child, Sibling) is more likely to be popular.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum

Mike
Thank you for your thoughts, I am interested to hear from you, because you are the author of several clever plugins.  People will have differing goals in researching family history and mine is to better understand the life influences that impacted on near ancestors (once Census information ceases to be available, my progenitors seem to have left little trace of the lives they led).
Do you think it's unlikely because of the programming involved or simply because most family historians are not interested in that aspect of research?
Cambiz
Famous
Family Historian: None

Post by Cambiz »

What would people suggest as the best way forward
- add a new Wishlist Item
- add comments to WL#60 expanding it's remit?
RogerF
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by RogerF »

I'd prefer to expand Wishlist 60; I'm all in favour of combining 'similar' ideas to reduce the number of entries.
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If I understand Peter's request correctly, it is only very loosely related to Wish List 60.

Peter wants any single instance of a Fact to be nominated to appear amongst ('shared with') the Facts of one or more other individually selected Individuals.
This would require an extra Dialogue on the Facts tab of the Property Box for both Individual and Family Records.
For each Fact, the Dialogue would allow any selection of Individual Records to be nominated.
Then such Facts would appear amongst the Facts of those nominated Individuals.

It is not clear if Peter wants such Facts to appear only on the Facts tab, but also in Reports, which does not happen at present, except for Family Facts in Narrative Reports.
If required for Narrative Reports, it poses an interesting challenge for the Sentence Templates, because they would have to be worded correctly for both their original Individual/Family context, and the context of every nominated Individual.

Alternatively, the scope of Wish List 60 could be extended with both wider appeal and simpler implementation.
In this case, the Work with Fact Sets would allow each type of Individual Fact (Birth, Adoption, Occupation, Death, etc) to appear on the Facts tab of nominated classes of Living Relations (Parent, Spouse, Child, Sibling).
e.g.
Every Death Event could be nominated to appear on the Facts tab of any Parent, &/or Spouse, &/or Child, &/or Sibling of the original Individual, if the relation is alive at the Date of Death.

I am unsure whether this feature should extend to Reports and Diagrams or not.
As I said above, it would pose challenges for Narrative Report Sentence Templates.
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum

Mike makes a significant point in relation to Narrative Reports.  I can see that for the developer this creates a considerable, if not impossible hurdle.
Personally, I infrequently use the Narrative Report, and when I do I export it to MS Word and find myself tidying it up anyway.  However I recognise for the average customer this would probably be unacceptable as it is going to generate a lot of User 'bug' reports.

So, I guess Mike you have answered my question.

Just to clarify though, I am not asking for any more than a small expansion of Wish list 60.  Is it feasible for the Developer to incorporate an ability to create a Custom, user defined Fact that gives the option of sharing it with selected individuals and then leave the User to do whatever he/she wishes for narrative report wording, which I acknowledge is going to be wrong, whatever you do.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My feeling is that Wish List 60 should be extended to generically cover all Facts as per my description above under:
'Alternatively, the scope of Wish List 60 could be extended with both wider appeal and simpler implementation.'
However, it should only apply to the Facts tab of the Property Box and NOT Reports or Diagrams.
i.e. It should be consistent with the current Birth of son/daughter... Facts that appear on the Facts tab of the Parents.

I feel that Peter's request is NOT 'a small expansion of Wish list 60'.
If I understand correctly, any Custom Fact would have the Share option.
Such Custom Facts could be added to any Individual as usual.
If the Share option is enabled, then Individuals could be nominated to share the Fact as I described above under 'This would require an extra Dialogue on the Facts tab of the Property Box.'
One difficulty the developer must resolve is where to store the list of Individual Record Id in the GEDCOM format for a Fact.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Share Facts across family

Post by tatewise »

I suspect this request has effectively been satisfied by the FH V6 Timeline Facts and Witness Roles. The latter allows any Fact to appear in the Property Box of any Individual by making them a Witness even if the Role might be just Interested or Related. It also solves the Sentence Template problem for Narrative Reports.