* [Wish List ref 570] Make the installation of the pdf driver optional

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List ref 570] Make the installation of the pdf driver optional

Post by Valkrider »

The inclusion of the Nova PDF driver is now unnecessary as Windows 10 includes a pdf printer driver. It also prevents users installing FH v7 in PlayOnMac.

It would therefore be beneficial to both Windows and Mac users to make the option of this driver optional.
mjashby
Megastar

Re: Make the installation of the pdf driver optional

Post by mjashby »

Colin,

I tend to agree with your observation, but mainly because the version of novaPDF being distributed hasn't been updated since 2014 and has been out of support since then; and also because many Windows Anti-virus/AntiMalware software products treat applications which attempt to install additional/secondary applications without user intervention to be 'suspect'. However, I can see that Calico Pie might want to continue to maintain distribution of NovaPDF for the 'benefit' of users who may still using Windows 7/8/8.1

As far as installation on PlayOnMac (POM) is concerned, I suspect that it locks up during/after the installation of NovaPDF and can't recover because the 'Windows Virtual Printer' can't be created. If you 'force quit' POM after lock up and then relaunch it you would probably find the everything has been correctly installed, as that's what happens with FH6 installs on Wine in Linux.

Mervyn
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

mjashby wrote: 26 Mar 2021 17:42
As far as installation on PlayOnMac (POM) is concerned, I suspect that it locks up during/after the installation of NovaPDF and can't recover because the 'Windows Virtual Printer' can't be created. If you 'force quit' POM after lock up and then relaunch it you would probably find the everything has been correctly installed, as that's what happens with FH6 installs on Wine in Linux.

Mervyn
That is not the case, the bottle is created but not accessible so you are stuck with no FH because of the Nova driver.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Colin,

Thanks for the information. Glad I gave up on POM after early problems with use on Catalina and Big Sur!

I'd guess it's probably an issue in the POM implementation, because complete installation has been successful for me using both Crossover for Mac and Wine in Linux, but I did have to 'kill' the initial installation process after installer hang-up. Somewhat interestingly, with Crossover, when applying the recent FH7 updates (7.02 &7.03) to a working FH7 bottle the installation process didn't hang, even though NovaPDF was re-installed each time.

Mervyn
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: [Wish List ref 570] Make the installation of the pdf driver optional

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Wish list reference 570.