* [Wish List Request 571] Maps: show place names in both local and Latin scripts

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Dbgermany
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List Request 571] Maps: show place names in both local and Latin scripts

Post by Dbgermany »

Change the Map Layer used in the Map Window to one which shows place names in both local and Latin scripts.

The Map Window uses OpenStreetMap which, in the standard version (used by Family Historian), shows place names using the local script. This causes problems for those of us with ancestors who lived or travelled in countries which use the Cyrillic alphabet or Chinese, Japanese, other south east Asian or Arabic scripts. OpenStreetMap does allow the use of a variety of Map Layers, at least two of which, Cycle Map and Transport Map, show local and Latin scripts simultaneously.

The FH7 Map Window provides the possibility to „View in OpenStreetMap (Web)“ which does offer a choice of Map layer, however, as I have pointed out in a previous post, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18732#p111820 the Place Markers for the chosen Individual are not transferred.

A welcome improvement would be to provide a choice of Map Layer directly in the Map Window within Family Historian. Or probably the simplest solution, replace the Standard Map Layer being used at present by the Cycle Map Layer.
Janela
Family Historian: V6

Re: Maps: show place names in both local and Latin scripts

Post by Janela »

I welcome any improvements to Mapping and I have often read similar non UK requests so support your wish.

I am just not sure from FH point of view do these additional Openstreetmap possibilities come at a cost?
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: Maps: show place names in both local and Latin scripts

Post by Gowermick »

Good idea, anything to improve the current maps, which are a backward step from FH6.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: [Wish List Request 571] Maps: show place names in both local and Latin scripts

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Created Wish List Request 571.