* Double size option for "selected" photo

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Double size option for "selected" photo

Post by bill.bane@gmail.com »

Now, in reports, there are 3 photo sizes and custom sizing choices for each of 3 genealogy classes.
But all in "class" must be the same size.
Usually, one photo is most important, so allow it to be "designated" or "selected" to be "double size". (eg If 1x1 >> 2x2)
This is just a variation of "custom", so perhaps the selection coding is simple.
For formatting coding, in cases where the double size is on same row as non-double size(s), their space allocation would be calculated as if double size. (And this is no different than now between photos in adjacent classes.)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Double size option for "selected" photo

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Would this existing Wish List request satisfy the requirement:

More Flexible Media Size on Reports
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver

Helen,

I went to the existing wish list and tried to post the below. (Along with a "5" vote). Every time I said post, the text showed up as "delete". I do not know how to get past that and post this.

In any case, this is my response, and if you tell me how, I will post it on that wish list.

I completely agree that this current inflexibility in image sizing is a problem and/or a great opportunity to improve.

I am less certain that this solution definition is complete and correct.

Maybe a more direct method might be to add controls -- while in the Report interface -- to select an image, give it "size" specifications, and let FH formatting code adjust to this new demand for more or less "space", and show it to the user. Then, if not happy the user can try another size.

This proposed solution seems to require the user, while in media mode, to guess what size would format best in the report, and this could end up with some pretty herky jerky report formatting result. And the size chosen might work for one report but not for another.

My suggested solution (elsewhere made) was somewhere between these two approaches, allowing only greater differentiation beyond the current approach that ALL images be s, m, lg, or custom, in the categories. That is, why would the user only wish to show Grandpa's "best" photo as the same size as his favorite dog?

In any case, "something" in this direction would be great. My major personal interest is Photoshop, and I think that FH's potential success can be greatly amplified by more focus and features on image exploitation.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Bill, if you Add Comment in the Wish list and type your response, you should see it added with an option to subsequently Delete. If this isn't what's happening, can you post a screenshot please.

Once you've added your comment, would you be happy for me to close this?
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver

Helen,

Here is the screen shot. You can see two deletes" with another opportunity to "comment", which is how the second delete got there.

Also, it destroys the needed paragraph formatting for some reason.
Attachments
FH wish list problems 2021-03-28_112548.pdf
(53.06 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Just click on one of the Deletes to remove the duplication.
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver

Helen,

Nope.

I deleted both, then in the comment section, i pasted my comments (again), hit the comment command, and, like before, all my comments are reformatted and placed in a similar "delete" section. I could send you another snip but it would look exactly like what I just sent but with only on delete section.

What am I missing?

Bill
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It's not a Delete section, Bill, it's the list of visible comments which each have a Delete OPTION for the author so you can change your mind.
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver

Helen,

Some misunderstandings somewhere...

Attached is the from the begging fresh start reply screen, with just my hoped for comment to be posted , looking to be ready to go.

I only see one command, and that is "add comment".

When I click on that, the screen changes to showing the unformatted text in a delete box as I sent you in the previous pdf.

I see no opportunity, like on this screen (where I am responding to you now), to "preview" or "submit".

On the wish list comment screen, nothing else is shown to act on other than "delete", which takes me back to the starting point empty comment screen.

To check, I just signed into another browser and repeated the process, with identical results.

I must conclude that there is a bug in this FH screen wish list form coding, since you seem to think that normally there are either different options other than the one that I see, or that there are different subsequent actions after me clicking "add comment" than I am seeing.

Bill
Attachments
FH wish list problem 2021-03-28_120911.pdf
(62.29 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Add comment == submit. There is no preview.

Once you've submitted your comment, it is available for everyone to view, and additionally for you to Delete (there is no editing facility)

Your comment is present and correct.
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver

Helen,

Sorry to be a pain, but I have now spent about an hour looking for this list because I would like to see my comment in the list along with other related comments.

All my efforts have failed. Below are the places I have looked.

Could you send me the URL to see this topic list that now includes my comment?

Bill

Below is what I have tried with no result.

As a start, https://fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldisplay. ... lwlref=456. When I am in this screen showing my "delete" version, I have two options: "view wishlist" and "Return to list". Neither takes me to the larger list related to this subject matter.

I get here by clicking on "More Flexible Media Size on Reports (456)", in this URL, https://fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wllist.php ... lwlref=456

This other URL also fails to take me to the larger list. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6256
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

https://fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldisplay.php?wlwlref=456 takes you to a single entry in the list -- the one we have been dealing with with your comment visible to anyone. There are no comments other than yours.

There is link in the entry to viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6256 which is the topic in the forums where the request was originally discussed.

From the single entry in the wish list you can Return to List (to view the entire list). View Wishlist does the same thing. if you (or the person providing the link to you) have previously done a search on the Wish List, that affects (filters) what you see in the wish list.. https://fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wllist.php shows you the entire wish list without any filtering.
bill.bane@gmail.com
Silver

Helen,

Thanks for all of your time.

I am still confused, but let's stop.

When I go to your last list url in your email, I see:

"More Flexible Media Size on Reports (456) 58 17 3.4 26/05/10"

This says there are 17 voters. When I click on the active "More Flexible ....", I only get my unformatted "delete" version I sent you by pdf. When I first got your email, I think I saw other of the 17 voter's comment. Maybe I am misremembering? Maybe the 17 voted but left no comments?

From your second URL, it seems to show my comment as the only one added to a 2010 comment, so maybe the 17 votes are unrelated? If this is the case, then my attempt to copy the original post's paragraph formatting did not take, as least as it shows in the "delete" mode in my url result.

In any case, I am happy to leave it with your saying my comment is somewhere on the list, formatted or not formatted correctly. I say this still worrying that there is a bug somewhere, but maybe not.

Thanks again.

Bill
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Bill,

The 17 voters voted without commenting.

Formatting doesn't transfer, unfortunately -- the Wish List uses html but the forums don't.

I can assure you your comment is there.

Thanks for sticking with me

Helen
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »