* FH7 Source Rec - Column Width

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
dhwalt

FH7 Source Rec - Column Width

Post by dhwalt »

Property Box > Sources For > Citation (Text: Source Record)

Can the Source Rec column width be increased such that ids up to 9999 along with enclosing brackets are visible? Currently allows [999] max then the closing bracket is lost without resizing. Resizing is not remembered.
Source Rec default.jpg
Source Rec default.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH7 Source Rec - Column Width

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

That seems like a bug report to me, not a Wish List request -- try raising with with CP support?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I recall that BillH discussed this during beta testing and I thought it was agreed to be improved but obviously not.
It does seem to be a bug.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Can't you fix that by altering the width of the property box and/or using the slider bars in the title bar to reduce the "Citation (Text: Source Record)" column width slightly or widen the "Source Rec" column width, by dragging the title bar slider to the right?

I've done similar with the columns in the Facts tab box, by widening the "More" column so that I can see the witness, media and note icons, even when a scroll bar appears to the right of the field due to the number of facts exceeding the height of the box, and it persists between closing and re-opening the program.

Edit: Sorry, I see you said that resizing is not remembered. I've just tried it and you are correct. Resizing columns is however remembered in the Fact tab, so creating a support ticket might get it fixed.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Which FH version are you using, because the Facts tab column widths are NOT remembered by my FH V7.0.0 beta?
Is it 7.0.1.2?
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Yes Mike, I'm on 7.0.1.2. They were remembered in FH6 as well. I did notice that they had gone back to default when I installed 7.0.0.1 and remember resetting them to my liking on more than one occasion, so it's quite probable they weren't being remembered in that version.

The Source Rec column width in the Citation Box isn't being remembered though.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you are mistaken about FH V6.2.7 remembering Facts tab column widths because I have FH V6 still installed and those widths do NOT survive close & reopen.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

tatewise wrote: 26 Jan 2021 12:59 I recall that BillH discussed this during beta testing and I thought it was agreed to be improved but obviously not.
It does seem to be a bug.
Unfortunately CP did not agree to fix it. They just closed the issue without comment.

Bill
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

tatewise wrote: 26 Jan 2021 16:27 I think you are mistaken about FH V6.2.7 remembering Facts tab column widths because I have FH V6 still installed and those widths do NOT survive close & reopen.
Hmm, that's strange, because one of the first things I noticed when I started using FH7 was that the note icons, which i had adjusted to be visible in FH6, where the number of facts caused the vertical scrollbar to appear to the right of the box, were hidden again behind the scrollbar.

I remember trying to restore my previous view several times, without success. Eventually I got the view to stick - possibly when CP asked me to install 7.0.1.2, although I'm not certain it was after installing that version. But I do remember the steps I went through to finally get it to stick included widening the property box a little over its default width, and narrowing the date, fact and age column widths slightly to draw the "more" column to the left of the scrollbar, rather than widening the more column as such.

In any event, the view is "stuck" to my preference now.
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

FWIW I installed FH 7.0.1.3 this morning. The Fact tab column widths all reverted to default following the update, but having reset them to my preference they are sticking to my requirements again between closing and re-opening FH.

The Source Rec column width still isn't remembered if resized though.

As an aside, has anyone else found the FH7 installer to be slow? I ran it with Task Manager open, having experienced it taking time to complete when I installed 7.0.1.2. It starts with a message to the effect that it is creating folders, but sits at around 1.6% CPU and no disk activity for about a minute before the green progress bar appears and the main program is installed. When the progress bar has almost completed, it sits at low CPU and no disk activity for about the same time again, stating that it is installing additional components, before suddenly completing.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The issue with the Source record column in the Citation list pane has been fixed in v7.0.2.
To quote from the upgrade notes:
In the Citation List pane of the Property Box, you could change the size of the second column (Source record), but the size change was not remembered or preserved. It now is remembered (but a minimum column size is enforced).
Oddly, the first time I opened V7.0.2 on either my desktop or my laptop I had to use a scroll bar at the bottom of the pane to see where the Source Rec column was, and then drag apart two adjacent vertical bars to expose it. After that it ‘stuck’.
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Lorna,

This doesn't sound like it is really "fixed". Some changes have been made but it is still not the same as in FH 6. Only the 2nd column can be changed whereas in FH 6 all columns can be changed. Also, as far as I can see there is no minimum width for the 2nd column that I can determine in FH 6.

I no longer have FH 7 installed and as you probably remember from beta testing, this was an item I originally reported.

I was wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you verify for me that the 2nd column is the one with the source record number? Also could you please post a screenshot showing how small the 2nd column can be made with it pushed all the way over to the right side of the sources for pane so the first column is as wide as possible?

I would like to see how close I would be able to get to my setup for FH 6.

iimage1.jpg
iimage1.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 5485 times

Thanks!
Bill
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Bill,
Yes the second column is the one with the source record number.

I think dhwalt's original problem here was that the column was not wide enough to show long source ID numbers. That has now been fixed because the column can be enlarged and the larger size will stick. However if your problem was that it couldn't be made small enough, I'm afraid that may still be a problem. Obviously the whole pane can be widened to increase the width of the first column but you may not want to do that.

These two screenshots show the second column at its minimum width, in the context of two different overall widths for the whole pane.

Minimun width.JPG
Minimun width.JPG (29.76 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
Minimum with 2.JPG
Minimum with 2.JPG (34.46 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Lorna,

Thanks for the screen shots.

Yes, I got confused on what this reported issue actually was. I was hoping that maybe it would help with the issue I reported, but it does not.

I don't really understand why this column (source rec) even exists. It is unnecessary. If I remember correctly from the beta, CP made it so you can double click on the source name to get to the source record. Much easier than having to select the little check box and clicking on the blue right arrow.

Bill
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

As Lorna says, the original bug has now been fixed, so I'm moving this to Closed Wish List Requests.