* Updated versions of Lua and libraries?

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Updated versions of Lua and libraries?

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Please could we have access to updated versions of the Lua software (we have 5.1, current version is 5.3.5) and the libraries (for example we have iup 3.11.2, current version is 3.25).

We're missing out on bug fixes and enhancements that may make developing plugins much easier. For example, iup introduced navigating by string to a position in a list in 3.12 (attribute VALUESTRING) but 3.11 only allows navigation by position, which makes sorted lists very difficult to use.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Updated versions of Lua and libraries?

Post by tatewise »

There is a related problem.
How does any user know what versions of what libraries are actually currently supported by FH?
It requires a certain amount of user ingenuity to discover those details.
See my Ticket #533040 Lua Library Modules Supported by FH submitted a year ago, and despite a promise to get back to me, Calico Pie never have.

I agree the later versions should be supported, but I think it better to report directly to Calico Pie as it is very unlikely to get many user Votes in our Wish List.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

At least posting here may make those people developing plugins aware, if they weren't before.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To make Plugin developers aware, would it be better posted in the Plugin Discussions Forum or perhaps somewhere in the plugins:index#developer_guide|> Family Historian Plugins > Developer Guide?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you think this doesn't belong in this forum, move it -- but I put it where I thought it belongs.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've moved the thread to the Plugin Discussions, but retained it in the New Wish List Requests too.

The topic is covered in the plugins:getting_started#online_references_library_modules|> Family Historian Plugins > Developer Guide > Getting Started Writing Plugins > Online References & Library Modules.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You may have noticed that I asked for an update in my Ticket #533040 and got the reply:
We are looking to update the Lua library as part of version 7.
However, I’m afraid I can’t give you any kind of timeframe on that.

Sorry for not getting back to you. We agree that there should be more information about Lua Library Modules made available to plugin authors and we will look at that at the same time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When FH V7 arrives, I think Plugin authors will face a new challenge.
We assume all the versions of built-in libraries such as Lua, IUP, lfs, etc, will get updated to the latest available.

But if an author develops a new Plugin or updates an existing Plugin and uses any of those new library version features, then that Plugin will not work for FH V6 users or FH V5 users.

So what can the authors do?
  • Abandon the FH V6/V5 users.
  • Restrict the Plugin to old library version features.
  • Create two variants of the Plugin; one for FH V7 and one for FH V6/V5.
Maybe a solution is for Calico Pie to release a free update to FH V6 that is compiled with the latest built-in library versions, which should be straightforward having already compiled them into FH V7.
What do other Plugin authors think?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm planning to create new versions for FH7 and leave the FH6 versions alone. Admittedly. I only have two released plugins -- Research Planner will change significantly with the new features, ditto Multifact. But I have a load more in the works -- just waiting for FH7. I am however making no assumptions about what versions of the libraries will be available with FH7.

Rationale:

If the old FH6 versions are working, they should continue to work. If somebody wants an enhancement or a bug fix, I'm sorry but the code is frozen. Anyone who stays with FH6 once FH7 is released should expect to stay with existing plugins in their current state when FH7 is released, just as they shouldn't expect bug fixes to FH6.

There is a Lua compatibility library to bring 5.1 up to approximate 5.3 but it's missing a lot of important stuff: https://github.com/keplerproject/lua-compat-5.3 (so I don't expect Calico Pie to include it in the FH6 environment -- why would they when their commercial interests require us to move to FH7).

I can't comment on whether a version of FH6 with the latest versions of the libraries is a good idea -- what might it break?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, it sounds like you are proposing Plugins with two slightly different names in the Plugin Store: a new one for FH V7 while keeping the old one for the frozen FH V6 version.

For me, and maybe others, it gets more complicated than that.
Some of my Plugins have had to be updated from time to time because the online services they use have changed.
Examples include Map Life Facts, Lookup Missing Census Facts, Lookup Missing BMD Records, etc.
So even a frozen FH V6 version would stop working in those circumstances, and need updating.
It would be so much easier if there were only one version.

I'm quite confident that any new libraries are backwards compatible with current libraries, so it is unlikely that anything would break.

Authors will also have to cope with the FH API which will no doubt have many new features in FH V7, but that is a different problem.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 02 Mar 2020 12:59 Helen, it sounds like you are proposing Plugins with two slightly different names in the Plugin Store: a new one for FH V7 while keeping the old one for the frozen FH V6 version.
Yes, where the functionality depends on new features in FH7.
For me, and maybe others, it gets more complicated than that.
Some of my Plugins have had to be updated from time to time because the online services they use have changed.
Examples include Map Life Facts, Lookup Missing Census Facts, Lookup Missing BMD Records, etc.
So even a frozen FH V6 version would stop working in those circumstances, and need updating.
You will have to (1) include code for different versions or (2) resign yourself to maintaining 2 versions.
I'm quite confident that any new libraries are backwards compatible with current libraries, so it is unlikely that anything would break.
Not necessarily true.
Authors will also have to cope with the FH API which will no doubt have many new features in FH V7, but that is a different problem.
No, it's the same problem -- anyone using the FH7 API can't assume it will work in FH6, just as the versions of Lua and libraries on FH& may not work in FH6.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

For most of the Lua 5.3 changes you can code around supporting both by checking the fh version.

Any module code, which I know Mike makes heavy use of needs converting to the new table method, but thankfully that is backwards compatible to 5.1

The same level checking could be done for the included libraries if you want to support both versions. Remember V7 may also be using a different Gedcom version as well, so there may well be a lot of changes to support.

Maybe a solution is for Calico Pie to release a free update to FH V6 that is compiled with the latest built-in library versions, which should be straightforward having already compiled them into FH V7.
I doubt that will happen, it would not be trivial at all.

Personally I am quite happy to adjust my plugins to work in both worlds except where they use new features only available in 7.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

V7 includes updated versions, and there is material in the KnowledgeBase about maintaining backward compatibility.