* Ability to add a caption to other media.

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
waltonnz
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Ability to add a caption to other media.

Post by waltonnz »

I have a large number of letters, charts etc in Word and pdf format. When I add these to an individual's media and add a caption, it doesn't show. So I'm left with a number of pdf and Word thumbnails with no caption. I can click on each and look in the box above for the title, but I would find it very helpful to be able to add a caption If it would be possible to add this facility.
Attachments
Screen Shot 04-18-18 at 02.32 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 04-18-18 at 02.32 PM.PNG (39.96 KiB) Viewed 6273 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ability to add a caption to other media.

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is an oddity.
There is a workaround of sorts.
Change the Format of the Media record to any image format such as gif or jpeg or tiff.
FH will object and show it as a grey rectangle with a diagonal cross instead of the file type icon.
But the caption is displayed, and the Open in Editor/Player triangular button still works.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ability to add a caption to other media. [FIXED]

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure about earlier FH versions but in FH v7.0 there appears to be no difference between any Media file types.

In the Individual/Family record Media tab, Edit the Media item, then enter a Date &/or a Link Note caption and click OK.
The thumbnail then displays the Date & Age &/or the Link Note caption in the same way for every type of Media.

In the Source record Media tab, the Media Title is always shown as the thumbnail caption for every type of Media.

So the problem no longer exists.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It is simpler, just to press the show Face button to get the description, rather than the age.
2021-07-24_091525.jpg
2021-07-24_091525.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, unsetting the Show Face button displays the Media Title in FH v7 but did it do that in earlier versions?
It also shows the full image of graphic Media instead of just the Face Frame, which may not be desired.
Anyway, the OP wanted to add a Caption to non-image Media, just like image Media, and that is now fixed in FH v7.