* X DNA Diagram

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
RSellens
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

X DNA Diagram

Post by RSellens »

Following on from my earlier Wish list request Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) report (14232) for an MCRA diagram/report facility to help with my DNA investigations, I have now identified another diagram type that would be really helpful, one that displays possible ancestors from which the selected person may having inherited there X chromosome.
What I am looking for is a simple diagram in the style of the Ancestors diagram, where for the selected individual it displays back a number of generations. Within each generation, the diagram would only display the female ancestor for a male, and both for a female, so you get a diagram something like this.

Code: Select all

F   M    F
 |    \  /
 M     F
  \   /
    F
    |
    M
I know this can be done by hiding individuals from a Standard ancestors report, but you have to do that each time you want to rebuild the diagram rather than being something dynamic.

I think with DNA testing becoming more common, adding some new diagrams to help with investigations into match's would some real benefit to people.

Richard
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: X DNA Diagram

Post by tatewise »

You can create that Diagram with two Fan Charts one for Male root as shown, and one for Female root.
They can be saved as Custom Diagram Types so any Individual can be chosen as root.
Does this satisfy your wish?
If so, then I will move this to General Usage Forum and add downloads for the two Fan Charts in due course.
But let me know if you have preferences for colours and the text details in each box, or any other layout ideas
X DNA Male Root Fan Chart
X DNA Male Root Fan Chart
X DNA Male Root.png (27.15 KiB) Viewed 17205 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RSellens
Famous

Post by RSellens »

Hi Mike,
Thanks but not really, I am looking for a tree diagram rather than a Fan chart, as that is a lot clearer to follow when picking out individuals/branches.

Richard
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You mean like this as derived from attached Custom Diagram Type?
X DNA Tree Male Root
X DNA Tree Male Root
X DNA Tree Male Root.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 17171 times
Attachments
X DNA Tree Male Root.fhdx
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
RSellens
Famous

Post by RSellens »

Thanks Mike,
That's a lot closer :-) But I was really looking for something more aligned to the standard diagrams, where I could control the number of generations, and use all the standard 'box controls' including icons, like this :-)
X DNA.jpg
X DNA.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 17157 times
Please don't worry about trying to adjust your custom diagram for any of this, I am not looking for this as a 'urgent' item. I just think that DNA testing is becoming more common now, and as it requires some new ways of investigating connections, getting Calico Pie to start to look at enhancing the reporting/diagraming options could be an additional selling point for them, for what I would hope would be relatively little effort :-)

Richard
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I have added Wish List item Ref 556 X Chromosome DNA Ancestor Diagram that you can Vote for.
RSellens
Famous

Post by RSellens »

Thanks
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Mike,

I like both those charts, and our DNA group is having a session on X-DNA inheritance soon. Could you upload them, please?

Thanks,
Kathleen
Kathleen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Which two Diagrams do you want Kathleen?

There is Saturday's custom Fan Chart that needs both a Male root and Female root version.
There is the pink/blue custom Tree Diagram that needs both a Male root and Female root version.
These will work for any selected root Individual, but you need to say what text details and colours you would prefer, or are you happy with them as they are.

The Standard Ancestor Diagram with some hidden Male branches is NOT available as a custom Diagram and is the subject of this request, but can be created and saved as an FH Chart just for specific root Individuals.

Please clarify which ones you are interested in.
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Sorry, Mike, I was referring to the two images you posted - the fan chart and the custom diagram as they are.

Thanks
Kathleen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Fan Chart is attached here below.
Use View > Custom Diagram Types > X DNA Male Root and select root person.

The Tree Diagram is attached to my Sat Feb 11, 2017 posting below the image.
Use View > Custom Diagram Types > X DNA Tree Male Root and select root person.

Just click on the orange Attachments link for X DNA ... Root.fhdx file and it will install into FH.

You can then use representative people in your chart/diagram.

OR maybe I have misunderstood and you just want the images as they are.
In which case right-click on the image, choose Copy Image, and Paste it into a photo editor or directly into a word-processor such as MS Word.
Attachments
X DNA Male Root.fhdx
X DNA Male Root
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Excellent! Thanks very much.
Kathleen
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

While waiting for an official solution, several years ago I created a new project that only includes my X chromosone ancestors.
Trevor Rix
jmurphy
Megastar

Post by jmurphy »

For reference purposes, here are two articles that I've found useful:

X-DNA INHERITANCE CHARTS on Genealogy Junkie: http://www.genealogyjunkie.net/x-dna-in ... harts.html

X-DNA's helpful inheritance patterns on Louise Coakley's website: http://www.genie1.com.au/blog/63-x-dna

Both have bibliographies, charts to compare, etc. If you're currently making a diagram in FH manually, they're good to use as a cross-check.

For a custom diagram in FH, perhaps you could use a Flag to indicate the line of descent you wanted to highlight?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Version 7 now includes an X-DNA diagram and Query.