* Does the wish list request for formatted text need TLC

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Does the wish list request for formatted text need TLC

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ref 20 Word-processing facilities for note and source text (italics, bold, tables, etc) needs a review perhaps to combine with Ref 455 New Function FormatText()?
And maybe Ref 537 Discrete fonts for long-text fields like Notes and Ref 86 Ability to add URL hyperlinks to entries

Basically a review of all requests to support modern formatting/rich text/urls....

As long as no votes are lost.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Does the wish list request for formatted text need TLC

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, the Wish List has no facility to combine entries and retain Votes (unless Jane knows different).

Ref 20 already mentions Ref 455 but is essentially a different feature, which is why it has been re-opened.
Likewise, I think Ref 537 and Ref 86 are rather different.

The danger of combining too much is that it is unlikly that all will get implemented, so the entry never gets closed, and it is not clear which bits are fixed and which are not, without closing the whole item and starting a new one, but that loses the Votes.

Similarly, combining too much prevents users from Voting for particular aspects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

I think what many of us want/need is a simple ability to format text as we can already do in a word processor, i.e. choose a typeface, size, weight, etc., apply paragraph formatting such as left and right margins, indents, and tab settings, and have URLs properly recognised. If, in the process we can add the capability of evaluating inbuilt FH functions, then so much the better. Personally, I think the idea of a Format Text function is unworkable, although possibly useful for formatting dates.

The reason for the request in my case is that creating a book, CD, or Web view from FH requires very substantial secondary editing to achieve an attractive and readable output; if FH contained appropriate facilities for text formatting then the vast majority of this formatting could be carried out within FH as part of the basic recording activity without the need to resort to other content management or word processing applications. Then, at least, we would be able to highlight verbatim quotes, set out tabular information, or simply highlight important items of information.

Cut and Paste from external applications should also be supported within text fields so that any original formatting is preserved.

So, the answer to the original question, is yes, the request does need some tlc. If FH has a major shortcoming, it is in the inability to allow the simple formatting of text and paragraphs: it is time that this was addressed.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Moved to Closed Wish List Requests as formatted text has been implemented.