* colour coding extended

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
JoopvB
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

colour coding extended

Post by JoopvB »

Colour makes life beautiful. And since FH is part of my life I would like to have use FH colour as much and as functional as possible.

1. Make it depend on conditions like conditions/flags (e.g. all ancestors of my wife are red, and mine are blue or show all kids that died at an age of 18 or younger in grey etc.).
2. Show the colour everywhere the person (fact, source or whatever) is displayed on the screen.
3. Show it also (optionally) in reports.

... and probably many more suggestions
tatewise
Megastar

Re: colour coding extended

Post by tatewise »

I know it has been a while, but I now have the task of reviewing these requests, and the Wish List.

I am trying to decide how best to describe this requirement in the context of the current FH settings:
Tools > Preferences > General > Colour Scheme
Tools > Preferences > Display > Automatic Source Citation Colours
Tools > Preferences > Focus Window > Colours and Fonts that could have colours added.
Tools > Preferences > Property Box > Colours and Fonts that could have colours added.
Tools > Preferences > Query Window > Colours and Fonts that could have colours added.
Tools > Preferences > Map Window > Colours and Fonts that could have colours added.
Tools > Preferences > Records Window > Colours.
Tools > Preferences > Media > Colours.
Report > Options > Format tab Font > Colours.
Report > Options > Page Layout tab Header/Footer > Font > Colours.
Diagram > Options > General tab Background > Options > Colours.
Diagram > Options > General tab Relationship descriptions > Font Colours.
Diagram > Options > General tab Sundry Colours.
Diagram > Options > Text tab Edit > Font > Colours.
Diagram > Options > Boxes tab Edit Features > Colours.
Diagram > Options > Lines tab Colours.

Note that most of those option pages configure many coloured item settings.

Are you requesting that all those individual colour settings be capable of being conditional?

To cater for your example of Wife Ancestors=red, Husband Ancestors=blue, Died Young=grey would require a prioritised set of Conditions similar to the Diagram > Options > Boxes tab, but for every single colour setting. Otherwise, how does FH know what the colour should be for a Wife Ancestor who Died Young? Is that what you intended?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JoopvB
Superstar

Post by JoopvB »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back on this topic.

What I meant is:
1. Use a test to (dynamically) flag certain situations (like TMG has and that works very well). Then make colouring available as something to add to whatever is displayed in whatever window (text, graphics, lists etc.). This proved to be a great help (for me) in TMG working with larger databases; it kind of adds an extra dimension to viewing (and remembering) your data and research.
2. Indeed not only for people, but also for sources, places etc.
3. Colouring in reports is an extra feature/option to e.g. have place names in blue, family names in red etc. This would greatly improve the readability of reports.

Remember, this is 2016 and life without colour is for genealogists of the previous century. :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I understand the general principle, but it needs to be interpreted in the context of FH with some more details of how it might be achieved.

Alternatively, perhaps you could explain in more detail how TMG conditional colour options worked.
  1. I was hoping you could identify which of the FH colour settings I listed that you would want to control.
    Is it just the text Font colours you want to control, or all the others as well?
  2. Would the dynamic flag conditions be something similar to the Diagram > Options > Boxes tab?
    e.g. Use Data Refs and Functions in Expressions to define the conditions.
    See how_to:understanding_expressions|> Understanding Expressions.
  3. How were conflicting conditions dealt with in TMG?
    e.g. Wife Ancestors=red versus Died Young=grey where a Wife Ancestor also Died Young.
    Should that be red or grey - or are they applied to different characteristics such text red and background grey?
JoopvB
Superstar

Post by JoopvB »

TMG conditional colouring is very well explained by Terry Reigel:
- flag setting: http://tmg.reigelridge.com/basics-flags.htm
- flag related colouring: http://tmg.reigelridge.com/accents.htm

To your questions:
1. I'd like to have the range of applying Flags and of Colouring to be as wide as possible. So, text, diagrams and maybe even media.
2. Yes, very much so. The Data Refs and Functions are very versatile and... they already exist in the program.
3. In TMG Flags are ordered and the last one wins. I think Legacy (or maybe Roots Magic) kind of combine colours. Surely the creative designers of Calico Pie will find a great implementation solution.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »