* Avoid showing duplicate ancestries in Ancestor Reports

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
KenS
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Avoid showing duplicate ancestries in Ancestor Reports

Post by KenS »

Good day y'all!

At some point many of us will discover that we're descended from the same couple (or individual) more than once. In FH when someone runs an Ancestor Outline report - or perhaps any Ahnentafel based report - not only will that repeated couple be printed each time it occurs, but so is their entire ancestry! Could FH code its reports so that if a duplicate ancestor/couple is discovered, any further occurrences refer back to the first?

For example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahnentafel gives part of the ancestry of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. Albert, Prince Consort, and Queen Victoria are his Ahnentafel #78 and 79, and also #80 and 81. Those entries appear as follows:

78. Albert, Prince Consort (26 August 1819 – 14 December 1861)
79. Queen Victoria (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901)
80 = 78
81 = 79

Such functionality would give clarity and save a great deal of paper/digital real estate when folks printed their reports.

I've always been told to provide a solution to any issues I bring up if possible, so just to provide a sample implementation: build a table with Ahnentafel# and RecordID#; with each new Ahnentafel# generated check for RecordID# duplication; if duplicate, print " 'new Ahnentafel#' = 'old Ahnentafel#' ", not adding a new line to the table so that multiple duplicates will always refer back to the first occurrence. Alternately you could base the search on FamilyID#'s in case of descent from multiple spouses. Other implementations are certainly possible, and please forgive my botching of what FH actually calls those variables!

Many thanks for reading this far. Y'all have a great program! I've got to go edit a text file to make it conform with the above, but if you've got a spare moment please make v7 play nice with WINE so I can upgrade... :D

V/R
Ken S.
V6.2 thru WINE on Linux Mint 20
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Avoid showing duplicate ancestries in Ancestor Reports

Post by tatewise »

See new Wish List Ref 578 Avoid duplicated common ancestors in Ancestor Reports that you can Vote for.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KenS
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Avoid showing duplicate ancestries in Ancestor Reports

Post by KenS »

Just did, thanks again for your help!

v/r

Ken S.
FH 6.2 thru WINE on Linux Mint 20