* Version 3

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
Bluebird
Silver
Family Historian: None

Version 3

Post by Bluebird »

Dear All
I don't like v4 and want to go back to the freedom of v3, which I had before but cannot find CD or key. Is it possible to purchase v3 new anywhere?
Thanks!

ID:5130
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Version 3

Post by NickWalker »

Why on earth would you want to do that? Family Historian 4 has everything that version 3 has and more. You can make it work like FH3 simply by closing the focus window. What freedom are you referring to?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Bluebird
Silver

Version 3

Post by Bluebird »

I found v3 perfect as it was. I suppose primarily 'freedom not to be trapped within Projects'.

What I mean by this is that I have multiple different family trees which I work on concurrently (I do family history research professionally). Each Gedcom/FH chart is  saved in its own folder with related emails, Word docs, Excel docs, different types of image files etc. My existing directory folder structure is fine and I don't want to have to have my Gedcom and FH tree files stored elsewhere in a FH Projects folder.

What I find is especially limiting in v4 is that it is no longer possible to open a saved tree unless you do so from within in Projects.
NickWalker
Megastar

Version 3

Post by NickWalker »

Ah I understand now :)
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Bluebird
Silver

Version 3

Post by Bluebird »

So is it still possible to buy v3? Maybe on the black market somewhere...?
Jane
Site Admin

Version 3

Post by Jane »

Keep an eye on ebay.

But there is nothing to stop you keeping all your emails etc with in a Project folder and if you want keeping the projects outside of a single folder if you really want to. As long as the gedcom is in a sub folder ending in fh_data and you have the project file above it, FH should open in Project mode.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."