* transferring data to version 5

Older V2 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
bjpayne
Silver
Family Historian: None

transferring data to version 5

Post by bjpayne »

I have just installed FHv5 on a laptop with Windows 7. I was previously using a desk top PC with windows XP and version 2.3FH. I am having difficulty entering my previous data. I have copied onto a USB stick and onto my hard drive, but I cannot access it when I try start a new project - enter Gedcoms. I'm sure I should be able to do it - what am I doing wrong?
Many thanks

ID:6678
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

FH V2 does not support Projects, but only what I call Standalone GEDCOM.

You should be able to open your GEDCOM file by one of the following:
a) Double-click the GEDCOM (.ged) file
b) Use File > Gedcom File Tasks > Open Gedcom File
c) Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Gedcom File Tasks > Open Gedcom File

Once that succeeds, the next step will be to convert to the Project structure.

Here is some advice as how to proceed.

(1) Use File > Project Window and read the Help.
Click Tips for New & Upgrading Users at the bottom and then Notes for Upgrading Users at the bottom.
Under Frequently Asked Questions look at I have my own system for organising multimedia files. If I create a new project and let Family Historian copy my multimedia files into the new project folder, will it just copy them all into one subfolder?
In summary, if your GEDCOM (.ged) file is in the same folder as your Multimedia sub-folders then the folder structure will be preserved.

(2) Use File > Project Window and create Sample Project.
Use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
This should create a Family Historian Sample Project that will appear in the Family Historian Projects list.
You can then inspect the My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects folder structure using Windows Explorer.

(3) Use File > Project Window and use New Project.
This allows your existing data to be copied into the Project folder structure, but maintain your Multimedia folder hierarchy.
Once you are happy with the Project, all your original files can be backed up (just in case) and deleted.

If you have customised any Reports, Diagrams, Queries, etc, then see the Knowledge Base article on how to Move Family Historian Settings & Projects.

An alternative method could be to install FH V5 on your Windows XP Desktop and convert that to a Project.
Then you can use a V5 Plugin to backup and copy all the necessary files and settings from Windows XP Desktop to Windows 7 Laptop.
bjpayne
Silver

Post by bjpayne »

Many thanks for your help, I shall get busy and hopefully make progress.[smile]
bjpayne
Silver

Post by bjpayne »

I am now up and running, thank you for all your help - a brilliant program