* v2.3 to 4 upgrade anxiety

Older V2 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
curlsdiva
Family Historian: None

v2.3 to 4 upgrade anxiety

Post by curlsdiva »

New person here. This sounds like a silly question, but I'm running v2.3 - if I buy the full version of v4 (when it eventually arrives), am I going to encounter any problems? Will I have to delete v2.3 then install v.4 and what happens to my gedcom files in the changeover?

ID:3585
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by NickWalker »

You shouldn't have any problems. Version 4 should just upgrade your previous version and load in your GEDCOM files as expected. Obviously its common sense to make sure you've got everything backed up before upgrading but it ought to be fine.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
JonAxtell
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Post by JonAxtell »

You shouldn't have any problem with the Gedcom files. The standard hasn't changed since v2.3. The difference between the two versions might mean that you will have to re-enter some settings so make sure you note down your preferences in v2.3 before you install v4. I suspect uninstalling v2.3 is better than just installing v4 over it but others might know better.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

Other than ensuring if you have customised any of the standard items (reports/diagram schemes etc) that you have saved them to 'new names' so as not to loose the changes installing the full version should upgrade everything else from V2 to V4.

The warning for saving customised standard items as new names is the same for anyone going from V3 to V4 as well.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."