* Gedcom

Older V2 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
brynadams_1
Gold
Family Historian: V2

Gedcom

Post by brynadams_1 »

A relative of mine would like a copy of our tree. Is it possible for me to copy the tree onto CD without using the Gedcom format.
Thanks
Bryn

ID:3121
stephenjones
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom

Post by stephenjones »

CD/Website creation was only included in version 3, so, assuming that you're using that version, File/Make a Family Tree CD should get you started.  There's more in Chapter 17 of the Manual and the on-line help.  You will finish up with a set of files which will open in a web-browser.
brynadams_1
Gold

Gedcom

Post by brynadams_1 »

Thanks Steve for your reply, I am using 2.3 so I will have to upgrade to solve the problem.

Bryn
davidb
Gold
Family Historian: None

Gedcom

Post by davidb »

Bryn -

When you say 'a copy of my tree', do you mean the diagram (picture) of your family tree or do you mean the database that holds all the information?

If it's the database (and if I'm not stating the obvious), just use any burning software to create a CD of the Gedcom file that you use FH to maintain. Provided your  relative has a genealogy program that can import Gedcom (and most do), he/she will be able to read it.

I have FH v.3 and I don't know about the diagram save/print capabilities of v.2, but if it is the diagram you want to send to your relative, can you not save the FH diagram of your tree as an image file and burn that to CD? Alternatively, you could print the FH diagram to create a pdf file and send your relative the pdf, which is a format that virtually everyone can open. To do this you will need to download and install a pdf printer, if you haven't already got one,  but there are a number of good, free ones available, e.g. PrimoPDF.

If I haven't got hold of the wrong end of the stick, this may help.

DavidB  
brynadams_1
Gold

Gedcom

Post by brynadams_1 »

Hi David B,
Thanks for your comments, I am waiting for my relative to reply. I like you understood that the Gedcom format was used by most genealogy programs. Have a look at this months newsletter from Lost Cousins : Gedcom files not standardised !! hence my question, can I send data in a non-gedcom way (not diagram)in v2.3

Bryn
davidb
Gold
Family Historian: None

Gedcom

Post by davidb »

Bryn -

Now I'm not sure whether you want to send  the relative your data in a form that can be read into genealogy program like FH, Brothers Keeper, Generations, etc., or whether you want to send it merely in a form that your relative can access on a computer using some other software (otherwise, you could simply print it out as a paper report - which I take it is not what you're after).

In FH v.3 (I don't know about v.2 but I imagine it must be similar), reports can be saved in a variety of formats, including html (which can be read by any web browser), rtf (which can be read by most, if not all word processors, including, of course, MS Word) and txt (which can be read by most text editors).

If you need to send the data in a form that can be read into a genealogy program, I am almost certain that there is no other way than via a Gedcom format file. I have been unable to find the Lost Cousins newsletter that you refer to but I wouldn't worry too much about Gedcom non-standardisation at this stage if I were you. As I understand it, the implementation of the Gedcom 5.5 standard that FH uses is one of the purest available. If an importing program cannot make sense of any part of an FH Gedcom file, it is almost certain to be that program's shortcoming in its support for Gedcom 5.5, not FH's. In any event, it is unlikely that any basic information would be lost or garbled on import. I am sure that all individuals, relationships and event details would be OK and most of the other data would be also. However, it would be prudent for your relative to test the accuracy of the import by first creating a new file with your data before attempting to merge it with his/hers.

Without knowing more precisely what you want to do, it is difficult to know what else to suggest. Perhaps someone who is using FH v.2 would be better placed to advise you if you want to try something off the Gedcom route.

DavidB