* On hold until 23 Oct 2024: Improve Source Citation Pane in FH V7

For Wish List Requests that need more work before they can be progressed to the Wish List, because after 3 months, discussions have not arrived at a clear specification of the requirement such that one or more Wish List items can be raised. Items On Hold that are not subsequently refined to a state suitable for the Wish List within a year by the OP or other interested parties will be closed. If the OP feels unable to progress the request, they should ask for volunteers among other interested users to assist.
dbnut
Famous
Family Historian: V7

On hold until 23 Oct 2024: Improve Source Citation Pane in FH V7

Post by dbnut »

My recurring complaint, almost since Day 1 (exaggerating a bit), is that the whole structure is a mess.
i.e. slavishly using the GEDCOM model as the interface paradigm.

Was working on a WLR but decided to save time and put it to you graphically: Window, sub-form, sub-sub-form.
I know you will "get" every single detail.

The only structural defects (or hidden facets) I'm aware of in the illustration itself are:
For Method 1, Select Source dialog (via (new) Add Source ) needs an Add Notes/Media section.
Give Sources their own independent Notes/Media controls at bottom of source list (open source properties).
Clean out the source notes/media from their unholy mix in the citations.

Well, there are probably also some adjustments to mini-controls needed, and some redundancies.
I'll have to wait. Or anyone else fill them in - easy enough.

Final comment: I don't think the citation detail window/pane/sub-form should ever be allowed to open as an independent window. Always a sub-form of Citation [formerly known as "Source-Citation", yuk], and preferably as part of Properties.

One day I'll read up (or someone will explain) why the devil unsynchronised windows were provided, anyway.
Attachments
New Properties.png
New Properties.png (130.41 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Paul White
"Family Historian is not just for Christmas, but for Life"
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Improve Source Citation Pane in FH V7

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If this is going to progress to the Wish List, it needs a lot of fleshing out into a request that people can understand and vote on.
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

How weird!
I didn't post this (tho' did say something similar, and did make a screenshot).
I'd be grateful if Jane/Admin could correct the author (to credit the clever person who made this).
Paul White
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

There's no way to change the ownership of a post -- if the system says you posted it, then you did originally post it. Looking at the logs, one of the other mods subsequently edited it but there's no detail of what they did and why -- Mike, can you throw some light?
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 25 Jul 2022 19:29 If this is going to progress to the Wish List, it needs a lot of fleshing out into a request that people can understand and vote on.
Well, whoever created that mock-up did IMO a mighty fine job (thanks!). I haven't found anything to disagree with and believe it would be a massive step in the right direction.
Would give it my unqualified (in both senses of the word) support for this to forward to the wish list.
Sorry I don't have the expertise to draft a proper proposal.
Paul White
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: On hold until 23 October 2024: Improve Source Citation Pane in FH V7

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

On hold until somebody volunteers ro draft a proper proposal.