* Including Maps in Books

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Glenn
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Including Maps in Books

Post by Glenn »

I have used the facility to input longitude and latitude for a ships journey which displays well within the FH programme But I cannot see how to include these maps in Books or how to print them.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Including Maps in Books

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Glenn, I might generalise this to include Maps in Reports, Books and Websites -- is that OK?

The Map Life Facts plugin can create maps for inclusion in a website, but that doesn't help with Reports/Books.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

What I currently do is to use the save as jpg option on the Map menu and then attach the map into reports and books using the picture option, or attach it as a fact media entry.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Glenn
Silver

Post by Glenn »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 06 Jul 2021 06:55 Glenn, I might generalise this to include Maps in Reports, Books and Websites -- is that OK?

The Map Life Facts plugin can create maps for inclusion in a website, but that doesn't help with Reports/Books.
Many thanks fir getting back to me, I have not yet tried creating a web site, but will download the plugin to try it out. Will it allow my to transfer the details already loaded onto maps? Many thanks again
Glenn
Silver

Post by Glenn »

Jane wrote: 06 Jul 2021 09:06 What I currently do is to use the save as jpg option on the Map menu and then attach the map into reports and books using the picture option, or attach it as a fact media entry.
Many thanks for getting back to me, I had not tried this, but will do now. Thank you

It worked, thank you again
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jane wrote: 06 Jul 2021 09:06 What I currently do is to use the save as jpg option on the Map menu and then attach the map into reports and books using the picture option, or attach it as a fact media entry.
You learn something everyday -- I'd never noticed that option before.

I'll move this to the General Usage forum as it's a need that can be met from existing facilities.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 06 Jul 2021 10:14 ... I'd never noticed that option before. ...
You and me both, it appears. Not merely that, but I also find that the Map menu allows me to change the Map Type to the NLS Historical Maps - which I had previously assumed could only be reached from the Map Life Facts plug-in. :o

I think my problem was that I assumed that, with a map on display, everything of worth was accessible from the contents of the Map Window, the icons on the tool-bar or the drop-down menu from the Map icon. The Map menu? No - why did I need to look at it? A curious attitude on my part since I never assume that all the options of interest in MS Word (say) are on the ribbon....
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I had not noticed the Map > Save Map As... option before.

BTW: The 'NLS Historical Maps' option is on the cog menu top right of the Map Window.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

tatewise wrote: 06 Jul 2021 14:26 I had not noticed the Map > Save Map As... option before.

BTW: The 'NLS Historical Maps' option is on the cog menu top right of the Map Window.
Oooh - must go explore this...I love the NLS maps.

T
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz