* [Closed] "Open source" for URLs

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Hans_S
Gold
Family Historian: V7

[Closed] "Open source" for URLs

Post by Hans_S »

Some fields can contain URLs, like "Publication info" of a source or "File" of a media record. My wish is to open a web browser, or a file system browser, from the content of such a field if it contains a http/https URL or a local file specification.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: "Open source" for URLs

Post by tatewise »

For some fields in FH V7 that can be achieved by converting them to active links in the Rich Text Note window.
Such fields are all Note fields, the Text From Source fields, and a few others, but not Publication Info.

The Move Note URL to Rich Text Web Link plugin automates that process for URL in Note fields.
It could be extended to include Text From Source fields and others with a Rich Text capability.

The Add Media URL Shortcut plugin will convert a URL in the File link field of a Media record so it is a clickable item.
However, it is advisable to download such Media as a local PC file because URL have a nasty habit of changing.

It is always possible to copy & paste the URL into the address bar of any browser and open the webpage.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Hans_S
Gold

Post by Hans_S »

Hi and sorry for the delayed reaction...

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions meets my needs. You are right, it is much better to download sources, but often I'm in a hurry and just create a new source with a title and the URL in the "Publication Info" field, and link it to the "Download" note. Later, I come back to that note and download all the sources, add media records, "text from source" and more. That is the time when I'd really appreciate the requested function.

Yes, I can copy&paste the URL into the browser, or (which is faster) press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Win+R, Ctrl+V, Enter (mark all, copy, paste into the "Run" dialog and execute). However, this is five key presses. If it could be just one mouse click at the right end of the "Publication Info" field, it would be much easier; the more so as the five-key-sequence must be initiated by a mouse click on the "Publication Info". Even a context menu item would reduce the interaction to two mouse clicks.

Having used computers since the 80'ies, I have found a mix of keyboard and mouse usage which makes my work most efficient and smooth. But as I'm getting older, my eyesight gets worse, and my fingers don't find the keys as well as they used to - and therefore, reducing the number of required interactions is not purely a question of comfort...

Hans
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Hans_S wrote: 05 Apr 2021 12:03 My wish is to open a web browser, or a file system browser, from the content of such a field if it contains a http/https URL or a local file specification.
This already happens if you put a URL in the file field of a Media Record.
Hans_S
Gold

Post by Hans_S »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 03 Jun 2023 12:46 This already happens if you put a URL in the file field of a Media Record.
Hm - that shows it could be implemented in other fields too. (My media files are all local, so I didn't know about this feature.)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you specify a local file path in the File field for a Media object, you can open it directly from the media object.

Does that mean that your request is specific to the Publication Info in a Generic Source?

If so, you could try linking a (temporary) Repository to the Source, and adding the relevant url info to the repository URL. Not quite as quick as you were hoping for, but available now.
Hans_S
Gold

Post by Hans_S »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 03 Jun 2023 16:26 If you specify a local file path in the File field for a Media object, you can open it directly from the media object.

Does that mean that your request is specific to the Publication Info in a Generic Source?

If so, you could try linking a (temporary) Repository to the Source, and adding the relevant url info to the repository URL. Not quite as quick as you were hoping for, but available now.
Yes indeed, I was missing the "open URL" operation in the Publication Info field of a Source record (but wouldn't it be good everywhere?). I store the URL in this field which directly takes me to the scanned document or page. What I do now when I want to go to the scan is copy the field and paste it into Firefox's URL bar, a sequence which forces me to change from mouse to keyboard and back twice. Although I've been doing this for years, it still annoys me.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Does anyone else support this proposal?
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

tatewise wrote: 05 Apr 2021 12:15
However, it is advisable to download such Media as a local PC file because URL have a nasty habit of changing.
Mike makes an important point here - very few sites have stable URLs - a URL link that works today may not in just a month or two's time ! That is why most citation systems specify that "root" urls are quoted - e.g. http://ancestry.co.uk.

Another reason is that these urls can be very long, so consume a lot of file memory, if you have lots of them.

That is why I always download material as I find it. I also take a snapshot or download of the Search page, and use the search details in case I need to find the material again.

The final problem is that, if you have no Internet access you won't be able to access the media.
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
Vyger
Famous

Re: [Closed] "Open source" for URLs

Post by Vyger »

Closed due to lack of support
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future