* [Wish List Ref 557] Ability to Customise the Facts Tabs for Individuals and Families

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List Ref 557] Ability to Customise the Facts Tabs for Individuals and Families

Post by AdrianBruce »

FH users should be able to customise Data Entry Items for the Facts tab on both Individuals and Families. I would envisage the use of the "Customize Property Box" window already used to customise the Main and a "New" tab for Individuals.

Why: Use of the "Customize Property Box" on a "New" tab for an Individual currently allows full access to all standard GEDCOM tags for an Individual via the Data Reference Assistant. However, this method is severely limited by the fact that these data references can only have hard-coded subscripts.

For instance, I have a tab for "Occupations" for an Individual - each occupation needs to be entered explicitly as INDI.OCCU[1], INDI.OCCU[2], INDI.OCCU[3], INDI.OCCU[4], etc... Given that each occupation has a value, a date, an address, a place and an employer (for which I use AGNC - Responsible Agency - and which is the reason I need to have more than the out of the box configuration), it's actually difficult to get more than 3 occupations on a tab - and even then I have to switch back and forth between this tab (to see the AGNC) and the Facts tab (to see the Note and the resulting sentence).

Adding AGNC via the All tab for the Individual is perfectly possible but also laborious due to the need to expand note items and the invisibility of the sentence there.

My personal need is for customisation of the Facts tab for Individuals but I suspect that the same logic applies to that for Families.

Way forward:
Provide such customisation via the "Customize Property Box" window already used to customise the Main and a "New" tab for Individuals.
Customisations created this way would apply to all Fact Types for simplicity.
They would appear below that label for the fact type, and show the data once the corresponding fact has been selected in the list box above.
I have no strong preference for what the order should be of customised fields - the current "Customize Property Box" window allows all items to be ordered, which would be preferable.

Alternatives:
If full customisation of the Facts tab is too fraught, then please consider adding Cause and Responsible Agency to the list of "Fields Required" on the "Fact Definition" window shown when editing a Fact Type and controlling the visibility that way. Then I can see my employers in Responsible Agency and my occupation change reasons of promotion etc in Cause. Others may wish for other items, of course...
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ability to Customise the Facts Tabs for Individuals and Families

Post by tatewise »

This is an excellent idea and has been discussed elsewhere before.

I have added Wish List item Ref 557 Customise the Facts tab data entry and hope it summarises all the salient points and options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Fine thanks
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have added a few words of clarification, and note that it is starting to climb the list.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry