* Marriage status plug-in needed

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Robert Jacobs
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Marriage status plug-in needed

Post by Robert Jacobs »

The marriage status box is empty for nearly all of the divorced and separated people in my data. Most of the problem springs from my original importation of my RootsMagic GEDCOM; the remainder is the result of my failure to add the entry
when adding people manually. My file contains nearly 200 divorces, most unentered in the marriage status box.

I've looked through the plug-in store and do not see a suitable plug-in. It would need to scrutinize each divorce fact and enter "Divorced" in the status box for that marriage. I'd not be surprised if people besides myself might find such a plug-in useful.

Any help or alternate suggestions gratefully received.

Robert
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Marriage status plug-in needed

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure that setting the Status to Divorced will add anything more than the Divorced Event already provides.

The marriage Status is a custom FH field and not defined in the GEDCOM specification.
It is useful to set Unmarried Couple or Never Married or even Unknown, because those change the wording in Reports and the lines in Diagrams to show the couple were not married.
However, Status Divorced and Separated are inferior to Divorced and Separated events that can have Date, Age, Place, Address and Source Citation details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

Thank you Mike. I was aware of some of that. It's the report and diagram verbiage that I'm interested in controlling. For many of the divorces in my data I have no supporting information, so I thought it would be useful to cohere the status box to the fact entry.

You've given me an idea, though. When I run the "All Facts Filter by Label" query, the divorces for which I have no supporting information sort to the top. There are only thirty. I will use the status box for those thirty manually and let the those with details speak for themselves in the reports.

Robert
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Another suggestion - presumably what you want is to set the marriage status to “Divorced” if there is a Divorce event for that family? It would be a very simple piece of code, so it might be a worthwhile objective to see if you can do it yourself.

We can point you towards the main topics to read up if you want to give it a try...
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Would it be better to add some details to the Divorce events so that they appear in the Diagram box text?
e.g.
You must have some idea when they Divorced ~ either after the preceding Marriage or before the next Marriage.
So either use after yyyy or before yyyy or a range from yyyy to yyyy.
Then the Divorce event will appear in the Diagram.
Similarly, adding some Place details, even if only a country, will have a similar effect.

Alternatively, edit the Text Scheme for the Divorce item so its Template is:
=FactText(%CUR~FAMS>DIV%,"CT","E_Div: _ in _ _Divorced")
Then when the Divorced event has no Date or Place it will say Divorced in the Diagram box.
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

Right — even better.

Thanks so much.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 15 Jan 2022 18:05 I am not sure that setting the Status to Divorced will add anything more than the Divorced Event already provides.
There is one small thing which is added by setting the status to Divorced. In diagrams a small diagonal line appears across the two parallel lines linking the couple. It's not very obvious, so you have to know to look for it. This happens by default, but can be changed. See the Lines tab of the Diagram Options dialog.

(Although in an Ancestors diagram if you are using the default option on the General tab to 'Use Fork Style Lines for Connection Ancestors' this doesn't work.)
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, true, but Robert was only considering doing that for Divorce events with no details. because they are not displayed by the default Text Scheme item for Divorce. That seems to be the default for all items using the FH v7 style Templates.
However, a simple change to the Template does display the Divorce event with no details, which is much clearer than the little line and works for all scenarios.
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions — and for teaching me about the little slash marks in the diagramw; which I had not known of.