* Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plug In

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Gardengirl
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plug In

Post by Gardengirl »

Hello all, I'm having trouble understanding how to use this Plug In to transfer my settings from my old laptop to my new one.

I have downloaded the PlugIn on both machines and updated both laptops to the latest version of fH.

Because my IT knowledge doesn't stretch this far I am just trying to follow the instructions in the Knowledge base and on the screen. So, I think I have Backed Up the settings from the source laptop into a folder on a memory stick, transfered it to the new laptop and run Restore in the PlugIn on the new laptop. I expected this to make the new fH look like my old one but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

So could someone please help me step by step...

Which option should I chose here
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plug In

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it won't restore anything unless you use the buttons in the lower part of your screenshot.
There is some advice provided if you click the Help & Advice button shown in your screenshot.

From your screenshot state, click the Program Data Files button to restore the settings to the Settings Path: C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian shown above, which is where such settings are held on your PC.

The other button, Registry Data Keys, is greyed out because you have not followed the Help & Advice noted above nor the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide for Restoring Program Settings, both of which say: On its Options tab, tick Allow Restore Registry Data to enable the Registry Data Keys button, which should be used after the the Program Data Files button and the on screen instructions followed to the letter.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

I'm finding this very hard to understand ! But I am doing my best.

I ticked the box in the options then clicked the Programme Data files button on the restore tab.

Then I clicked the Registry data Keys and I got a message saying that I needed to close fH first. So I have done that and now have this black box. No idea what it means. Should I be answering Yes or No?

Garden girl by day
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you clicked the Registry Data Keys button in the plugin and this black box is asking for confirmation that you want to continue and import Registry Data Keys [Y/N] ?

So enter Y and press the Enter key.

That will complete the migration of all your settings from PC to PC.
It is unfortunate that FH makes it so complicated to migrate its settings and this plugin is one of the best ways to do it.
If it did not demand that FH is closed first and provide the black box prompt then when FH is closed it would overwrite the restored Registry Data Keys and so those settings would not migrate.

I think you have made the black box message more complex than usual, because in the plugin Options tab you have not only ticked Allow Restore Registry Data but also ticked Enable Diagnostic Mode which puts a lot more details in that black box prompt.

If you find the whole process especially complicated then you could complain to Calico Pie and suggest they make migrating settings as straightforward as migrating Projects. The plugin is just a workaround provided by an FH user (me). Without it, the process would be even more complicated.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

Thank you, that seems to have done it. Once again I have no idea what I have actually done but I seem to have ended up with the right result. I will send a message to CalicoPie as you suggest.

Thanks for your help. :)
Garden girl by day